Chapter 58: I'm So Sorry

Cooper walked into the tent from a patrol with a sigh. “Dude I’m baking in my camo.” He groaned throwing his helmet on the bed. Jesse looked up from his pictures.

“You look like it.” He says looking back at the pictures. Cooper sat next to him pulling off his gear to cool down.

“Missing the family?” He asked. Jesse nodded. “Only a month left. Then we get to go home. 4 more weeks that’s it.” Jesse looked at Cooper.

“You don’t miss Grace and Hunter?” He asked shocked at how Cooper was acting. Cooper shook his head.

“I miss her like how my body needs air. I miss her so much it isn’t funny. But I focus on the job so I can get home to her so I can hold her in my arms and relax with her and play ball with Hunter. If you focus on the job at hand the pain isn’t as bad.” Cooper said patting Jesse’s back.

“Spoken like a real marine.” They both jumped at the sound of the C.O.’s voice.

“Sir,” They both saluted him.

“I need to talk to you both.” The whole tent went silent other than the snores of the sleeping soldiers.

“Can I ask why sir?” Jesse asked. The C.O. took them to a corner where they were alone.

“It’s about your wife Cooper.” Cooper’s whole body froze as his stomach dropped.

“What, What about her?” He said fixing his pants trying not to look at anyone. The C.O. put his hand on Cooper’s shoulder making him look at him.

“I don’t know how to tell you this, both of you, but she is in the hospital.” Jesse’s breath hitched and Cooper’s face turned pale.

“Is she okay?” He whispered.

“I don’t know many details but it was a third class emergency. I have a humvee coming to take you to a shipment plane going to Camp Lejeune. From there you need to go to the base hospital. They will tell you were to go from there.” Cooper still didn’t have the color back in his face

“Yes Sir.” Cooper said.

“Jesse I’m sorry I couldn’t get you on the plane but we need you here and  for you to go for your sister it has to be a first or second class emergency. I’m sorry.” Jesse nodded. Cooper stood frozen in his spot. “Cooper the humvee will be here in about an hour so you might want to call her to see how she is, also to calm Jesse over here’s nerves.” Cooper nodded as the C.O. walked away………….

The hospital phone rang making me groan and lean over tiredly to answer it.

Me* Hello?
Cooper*Hey Baby.
Me* Cooper
Cooper* It’s me baby.
Me* I’m scared, Cooper
Cooper* Why? What’s wrong?
Me* How much do you
Cooper* All I know is your in the hospital.
Me* I had surgery
Cooper* For what baby?
Me* I was pregnant Cooper
Cooper* But…how? We were so careful, oh god what happened to the baby? Oh God.
Me* I’m so sorry.

I burst into tears.

Cooper* Shhh its okay baby. Shh don’t cry, I hate it when you cry
Me* I’m sorry Cooper
Cooper* it’s okay baby, it’s okay.
Me* I want you here Cooper, I want my husband.
Cooper* I know baby, I want to be there. I will be there, soon.
Me* How soon?
Cooper* I don’t know how soon, but when I get back on US soil I will be there.
Me* Your coming home?
Cooper* Yes, I am. I have to get on the plane soon.
Me* I love you
Cooper* I love you too
Me* Is Jesse okay?
Cooper* He is here, do you want to talk to him?
Me* Yes, please.

I heard mumbling and Cooper handing Jesse the phone.

Me* Jesse?
Jesse* Hey Sis
Me* I am stupid
Jesse* No you are not
Me* No I am! I didn’t know I was pregnant and now my babies are going to die.
Jesse* Babies? BABIES? As in two living, breathing, life forms?
Me* Yeah a boy and a girl.

Jesse* Holy crap
Me* I feel like I failed. I disappointed everyone.

Jesse* You can never make anyone disappointed in our family. You gave us a gift, an unexpected gift but the best. Never think we will be disappointed. You make us all proud, nothing can change that.

Me* I love you Jesse.

Jesse* I love you too Sis. I have to go, I’m sorry. I have a patrol. Tell Logan and Hunter I love them. See you soon Sis

 I heard Jesse hand the phone to Cooper.

 Cooper* Okay baby, I have to go too because the humvee is here.

Me* Okay, I love you.

Cooper* I love you too

 I hung up the phone and started to cry into my hands…….

 Cooper hung up the phone and looked at Jesse as he got his armor on.

 “This is insane.” He sighed rubbing his face walking over to his bed and packing up his kit.

 “Just think how she feels. You’re deployed and she is in the hospital with a 4 year old at home to worry about.” Jesse said walking over to him. “She loves you and she is scared of what you are thinking of her.” Cooper looked up at him shocked.