Chapter 48: I'll Stand By You

I looked at Cooper as I walked back over to him. “Hey what did your grandma want?” He asked kissing my head.

  “Just something, don’t worry about it. Come on.” I said pulling him to the car that would take us to the reception.

  “Sure I believe you there Baby.” He smirked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and looked at him. “Tell me, please?” I sighed.

  “She had to give me my garter.” I blushed. I felt Cooper’s hands on my leg. I looked up at his face. His Navy eyes were shining.

  “Do I get to see it?” He smirked kissing my neck. I lifted up my dress so he could see the blue ribbon on the lacy of the garter on my thigh. “Very nice, Mrs. Banks; very nice.” I pulled his face to mine.

  “I’m Mrs. Banks now.” I giggled. He nodded and kissed me again.

  “That you are, and you’re all mine.” He smiled kissing me.

  “If you two don’t stop sucking face I’m going to tie you on either side of the room.” Poppy laughed at us with his hands on his hips. I opened the door and stepped out.

  “I’m sorry Poppy. But it is my day so you can suck it up and make me happy.” I smiled biting my lip like I used to when I was little when I wanted my way.

  “And why would I do that?” He asked.

  “Because you love me.” I smiled hugging him. He put his head on my shoulder as he squeezed me.

  “Congratulations baby.” He whispered.

  “Thank you Poppy.” I smiled kissing him cheek. He took a deep breath and pulled back.

  “Come on you too, I don’t want to have to drag you out.” He sighed walking away. Cooper walked to my side.

  “What’s wrong with him?” Cooper asked grabbing my hand as we walked inside.

 “He just is sad to see his baby girl go. Him and Dad. I’m the only girl.” I shrugged. Everyone was sitting at the table.

 “Took you two long enough to get here. Like really.” Kirsty said from where she was holding Logan.

 “Sorry,” I sighed. I said taking my seat next to her. Jesse stood up as the food came out.

 “Okay so I want to say a little something to my sister and my now brother-in-law.” We all looked at him. “So I never really liked when guys even looked at you sis, because I always felt like Connor’s right hand man when it came to you. He was the man of the house when Dad was away and I away remember the day you beat the crap out of that kid for pushing you around when you were 5." He started to laugh. "Then the time we chased that boy away with the shot guns." I burst out laughing remembering the day that poor boy looked at my brothers on the porch cleaning there hunting rifles. That boy never talked, let alone looked, at me again. "But when Cooper came along it was different. You were happy. And he was my best friend, so I semi trusted him. But I trust him now, with my life. And I'm happy you finally found your Marine." He smiled sitting down as everyone clapped. I felt Cooper’s hands in mine.

 “Thanks Jesse.” I smiled. I looked over at him and smiled. Dad stood up and sighed.

 “Baby, I know I have been hard on you for the past couple of days, but I’m Daddy and,” He took a deep breath. “And my baby isn’t that little girl that would run up to me when I got home from deployment anymore. I guess it’s just taking me awhile to see that you aren’t my little girl that I held in the hospital when you were born, you’re grown up.” He blinked back tears. “You are married to a marine, and a great one at that. You have made me proud to be a Dad, all of you have. It feels like yesterday you three were running around in the front lawn playing soccer or racing each other to see how gets the last scoop of ice cream.” I wiped the tears from under my eyes. “I just wanted you to know that you three make me the proudest man in the world. Congrats Baby Girl, and welcome to the family Cooper.” He smiled before he sat down. The food was great. It was from my favorite restaurant in town, so it was great. Grammy looked at her watch.

 “I think it’s time for the Marine and his wife to have their first dance.” Cooper took me to the middle of the dance floor and took my hands gently in his as everyone stood around the edge of the dance floor.

 “What song did you choose?” I asked as the first bars of the song started to play. I’ll stand by you by Carrie Underwood started to play.

 Oh why you look so sad

The tears are in your eyes
Come on and come to me now
Don’t be ashamed to cry
Let me see you through
Cause I’ve seen the dark side too

When the night falls on you
You don't know what to do
Nothing you confess
Could make me love you less

I’ll stand by you
I’ll stand by you
Won’t let nobody hurt you
I’ll stand by you

So if you're mad get mad
Don’t hold it all inside
Come on and talk to me now
Hey, what you got to hide
I get angry too
Well I’m a lot like you

When you're standing at the crossroads
And don't know which path to choose
Let me come along
Cause even if you're wrong

I’ll stand by you
I’ll stand by you
Won’t let nobody hurt you
I’ll stand by you
Take me in into you darkest hour
And I’ll never desert you
I’ll stand by you

And when, when the night falls on you, baby
You feeling all alone
You won't be on your own

I’ll stand by you
I’ll stand by you
Won’t let nobody hurt you
I’ll stand by you
Take me in into you darkest hour
And I’ll never desert you
I’ll stand by you

Oh I’ll stand by you
I’ll stand by you

“Baby I’ll always stand by you.” He whispered as I brought his face to mine for a kiss…………………