Chapter 8: Ow!

"Well I think you need to go to the hospital." The nurse said lifting the ice pack off Kirsty's hand.

"I will take her." I sighed getting up.

"Okay Grace I will sigh you both out. Good luck Kirsty." She smiled, handing us both notes for the rest of the day.

"Come on Rocky off to the ER." I laughed skipping down the hall way to Kirsty's disgust.

"I hate you right now." She huffed. All I could do was laughed and open the door for her. When we got to the hospital they it was crowded so we had to wait. We sat down while I helped Kirsty write down her medical history on the form. After that we waited......

"Kirsty." She got up and pulled me with her good hand with her. "Why hello girls. We need to know if it is okay if we have an intern with the doctor to see you. She is trying to become a doctor for the Marines, but needs training." The nurse watched Kirsty as she sat on the bed.

"Yeah, that would be cool." She nodded. She walked out as Kirsty looked at me. "Grace can I ask you a question that has been bugging me all day?" She asked.

"Yeah sure." I asked taking my book out of my backpack.

"Does Jesse really want to be a Marine?" She asked in a small voice. I looked up slowly.

"He has since before I could remember. Why you ask?" I said watching.

"I just, what if something happens?" She whispered. I put my book down and look at her.

"You know I always thought of it like that when Connor first went into the Marines, but my dad always would tell me this. 'He is protecting you from afar. He loves his country, he loves you, he just wants to protect your freedom.' I always lived by that." I shrugged. Kirsty looked up at me, her eyes watering. "Answer this, do you love my brother?"

"I love him." She smiled weakly.

"Can you image your life without him?" I asked. She shook her head.

"No, now all I see is Him and me with two kids running around the place." She laughed gently.

"Then I think with me you can get through deployment." I smiled. The door opened and the nurse came in.

"Kirsty time for your x-ray then the doctor will see you." The nurse smiled........

When Kirsty got back in she had a pained look on her face. "Hurts?" I smiled. She nodded.

"You have no idea." She said hopping up on the bed.

"Well they do say Karma is a bitch." I shrugged. She glared as the doctor came in.

"Why hello there Kirsty. Let's have a look at your hand." He picked up her hand gently looking at it as another girl walked in. She looked about Connor's age, 21, with brown hair. She was about 5ft 6 and had greenish brown eyes that popped with the make-up she was wearing.

"OW DOC THAT HURTS!!!" Kirsty yelled. He stopped touching it and brought out her x-ray.

"Hmmm what does that look like to you Meg?" He asked crossing his arms and looking at the file.

"It looks like 1, 2 broken hand bones, 1, 2 knuckle fractures, and a broken thumb." She said with a soft southern accent. Doc looks at it and nods.

"I think your right Meg. Why don't you stay here while I get Kirsty here the nurse to pick out her case colors?" With that he left the room. Kirsty and I both looked at Meg as she smiled.

"Um hi, I'm Meg." She smiled.

"Grace." I shook her hand.

"Kirsty." Kirsty smiled shaking her hand.

"So how did you break your hand?" She asked.

"I punched a boy that hurt my friend." Kirsty shrugged. Meg nodded.

"So you want to be a Marine Doctor?" I asked.

"Well nurse actually." She nodded.

"That's cool. My brother and dad are in the marines." I smiled at her.

"My mom's a nurse so I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." She said looking around the room. A nurse walked in with colors for the casts. Kirsty chose a neon yellow one. It was around her thumb, down her hand and half away to her elbow. Before we walked out I walked up to Meg and tapped her shoulder. She turned and looked at me.

"Here's my number if you ever need anything." I wrote it down and handed to her.

"Thank you." She smiled.

"Remember anything, I don't judge." I ran over to Kirsty were she was getting a doctor's note for gym.

"Okay came back to my house, Jesse is probably flipping." I laughed looking at the time. It was about 4.30, and we got here at 12.30.

"Can we get pizza, I'm hungry." She groaned.

"Sure cranky." I laughed starting the car and driving off..........

"Honeys were home." I called into the house because Nick's car was outside.

"What's the damage?" Amber asked walking into the kitchen where I was putting the dinner down.

"2 broken bones, 2 broken knuckles, and a broken thumb." I sighed opening the pizza box sending the smell through the kitchen to the family room causing running footsteps. I turned to see Nick, Taylor, and Jesse come running into the kitchen. I handed then 2 boxes and they sat at the table. Kirsty sat that the table and ate a sandwich, or tried to with her cast. Levi, Bandit, and Sadie came running in. Bandit is living with Amber, but I guess he came to visit. Oscar is at Kirsty's house and we are keeping Sadie. I grabbed a piece of pizza and sat at my computer in my room. A video chat came up making me squeal. I answer it.

"Hey Baby Girl!" Dad called from my computer.

"Hey Dad! You got internet this time?" I smiled at him. He nodded.

"Yup. But I can only stay a little bit. I have a patrol in 5 minutes." He smiled.

"Well I am happy to see you Dad. I have new friends and Jesse is being annoying as usual." He laughed.

"Doesn't change does it?"

"Nope. Jesse Dad's on the video chat." I called. He came though my door.

"Really? Hey dad!" He smiled holding a piece of pizza.

"Hey Kiddo? Anything new? I only got a couple more minutes."

"Dad I got a girlfriend, I'm going to talk to a recruiter soon too." Jesse smiled.

"You got a girlfriend? Good I thought you were going gay on me." Dad laughed causing Jesse to go bright red as the guys in the other room laughed. "I'm just kidding. You're fallowing my footsteps son, you make me proud." Dad smiled. "You make me proud too Baby girl. Keep it up. Oh I got to go. Love you guys." Dad smiled.

"Love you too." Jesse and I said together.

"Stay safe Marine." I smiled at him weakly.

"Yes Ma'am." He smiled before it said, 'Connection Disconnected'.

Other then starting off the day, this day wasn't half bad........Well other then Kirsty braking her hand.