Chapter 55: I Want My Husband

“What is it?” I asked as panic started to set in causing me to break into a cold sweat.

“It looks like your pregnant sweetheart.” She smiled at me. I looked at the screen wide eyes and sure enough there was a little baby on the screen. “It looks a little young, but-” a pain racked my body sending the ultra sound to go fuzzy.

“What’s going on?”  Kirsty asked as my face turned pale. The doctor clicked around fast and moved the wand around.

“Something is wrong with the baby. We need to rush you into a c-section.” She said calling a nurse.  I laid there in sock as panic started to rise. “Okay Grace we have to take you to the delivery room for you to have the baby. Something is really wrong with it. Okay, everything will be okay.” She said as they got me ready for the surgery.

“I want Cooper. I want my husband.” I cried as the rolled me down the hall way. “I want my Husband.” The doctor looked at Kirsty.

“Where is her husband?” She asked grabbing some scrubs for Kirsty to put on. “Put these on so you can be in there for her, I can tell she is going to need the moral support.” Kirsty put them on and looked at the doctor.

“Cooper is in Afghanistan with her brother oh what am I going to do? What is she going to do? Who is going to tell Cooper? Oh god.” She said rubbing her head. The doctor put a hand on top of Kirsty’s.

“I will get a nurse to see him a note to call. It will be alright. Come on, we have to get to the operating room.” She nodded as they both ran to the O.R. I was lying on the table read to have a c-section.

“I didn’t know I was pregnant. God I killed my Baby. Kirsty I killed my baby.” I sobbed to her as they put the sheet up so I couldn’t see my stomach.

“We don’t know if you killed it Sweetheart, it was by the look of that ultra sound something is wrong in there. The amniotic fluid is low around it, so to save the baby he has to come out. Sweet heart you are in labor. The baby needs to come out.” She rubbed my hands. “It will be okay. We have to start now.” I nodded as the tears started to roll down my face.

“Save my baby, please.” I whispered. She nodded.

“I promise I will get him out safely. I promise that.” She said going back to my still flat stomach. “Grace, can you feel me touching you here?”  I shook my head.

“No, no I can’t feel it.” I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

“Grace it will be alright.” The doctor said. “You’re going to feel pressure as we start than a lot of pressure okay. Kirsty you should hold her hand, this isn’t going to be pleasant.” I started to feel a lot of pressure and I felt Kirsty’s hands in mine. I looked over at her and smiled.

“It will be okay. I promise.” I took a deep breath again.

“Okay Grace we are at your uterus okay? I can see a head. You ready you are going to feel some really strong pressure okay?” I whimpered as I felt the extreme pressure, I almost screamed. “Okay Grace the head is out. Now the shoulders. Okay the little guy is out. It’s a little boy, congratulations.” She said to me.

“He isn’t crying. Why isn’t he crying? What’s wrong? God I killed my baby.” I panicked sending my heart monitor racing.

“Grace you need to calm down. He had the cord wrapped around his neck give us time.” She unwrapped the cord from around the little baby’s neck. She cleared his air way so he could breathe. I wanted to cry out loud as the silence killed me. The doctor rubbed his back and held him so his face was facing the floor. The next thing to happen made me start to cry in joy. His little scream pierced the air as he started to cry. The doctor cut the cord as he screamed. It was the most amazing sound I have ever heard. My little boy’s first cry. The doctor showed me the little boy in her hands who was screaming at the top of his lungs. His face was scrunched up as he bawled.

“It’s a boy.” I cried out in joy. She took him back and handed him to a nurse who put him in an incubator and rolled him off. “Where is she taking him? Where is she taking my son?” I cried out. 

“She is taking him to the NICU. He is early and you didn’t have any prenatal care. They have to check him out. He is in good hands Grace, don’t worry.” She said as she went back to my open stomach. “Now I have to deliver the after birth so a little bit more pressure.” She said and I did feel pressure as I laid there. I’m a mom again. Another little boy. Cooper will be so happy. He can play football with Hunter and this little guy when they are older, he will have little ones to carry on in his footsteps. I am so happy that Hunter will have a little brother to play with now. He will have someone to love when Daddy was away. He will have someone who will always look up to him. Oh I don’t think I could ever be so happy at this movement. “Oh my god.” I heard the doctor say. I looked at the doctor in fear. She looked over at me.

“What’s wrong Doctor? What’s happing?” I asked looking at her wide eyed as my heart started to race in fear.

“Grace,” She looked down. “There’s another Baby in here.”