Chapter 19: Who Knew?

I felt something warm and familiar in my hand. A light snore reminded me of Cooper. Wait that was Cooper! I wanted to move but I couldn’t. My body wouldn’t let me. I heard footsteps and a soft voice. “Cooper get up.” The voice said. It caused my heart rate to speed up. Dad looked up from where he was shaking Cooper. Cooper’s eyes were open wide with happiness, shock, and fear. “Baby, can you hear me?” Dad asked. I tried to squeeze Cooper’s hand but all I could do was twitch my index finger, and my heart rate come up then down again.

“It moved! It moved! She moved her hand!” Cooper yelled. Hearing his voice sent a shiver down my spine. All that happened to me suddenly came back to me, causing me to panic. “Baby it me, its okay. No one is going to hurt you. Your Dad is here too, right Jerry?”

“Hey Baby, its okay. No one is going to hurt you.” I slowly calmed down and found enough energy to squeeze Cooper’s whole hand in mine. I felt him jump. “Nurse! Nurse come quickly!” He yelled. I heard running footsteps as I tried to open my eyes. I opened them to a slit, and then closed them fast.

“Oh sweet heart let me turn down the light.” When I opened my eyes again it wasn’t as bright. I looked over at Cooper and started to choke. Cooper looked at the nurse in horror. She looked at me quickly as I choked.

“What is happening?” He asked panicked squeezing my hand. I squeezed it back as a doctor came in the room.

“Good to see you up Grace.” I chocked coughing again. “Now I want you to take a deep breath.” He pulled the tube out of my throat causing me to cough again. “How are you feeling?” He asked.

“Like I just got a tube pulled for my throat.” I said in a husky voice. The doctor laughed.

“Other than that?” He asked.

“My stomach kind of hurts.” I look a deep breath. “I’m also kind of tired.” I said as Cooper ran his thumb over my knuckles.

“Well I would expect some pain because of the whole being shot thing. Now as for you being tired your body isn’t taking in as much energy as you are using.” I nodded weakly and looked at my Dad, causing tears to form in my eyes.

“How long have I been out?” I asked looking at Cooper’s stubble on his face. The doctor looked at me. He sighed.

“You’re not going to like this but about a month.” My eyes widen and Cooper squeezed my hand. “Well you were only out for a couple hours after the surgery, but something happened as you were in a lot of pain so we went back in. When we did we found something.” I squeezed Coopers hand even harder as I was scared. The doctor looked at me. “A fragment of the bullet that the surgeon missed lodged in your ovary. We had to remove that ovary. With the scar tissue, we don’t think you will ever have children.” My heart stopped. “I’m sorry Kid.” He just walked out of the room. I sat there as tears started to over flow from my eyes dripping down my face. Cooper gently crawled on my bed and hugged me. Dad rubbed my hand.

“It will be okay Baby.” He smiled weakly. I laid my head on top of Cooper’s and looked at him.

“How long have you been back?” I said rubbing my nose with my hand pulling on the IV in it.

“Since 2 days after you got shot. I have been here ever since.” He smiled rubbing my hand.

“You had to come back because of me?” I asked as I hugged Cooper.

“Oh baby I would come back no matter what. You and your brothers mean so much more to me then The Corps. You are my babies. I love my babies more than anything.” He kissed my knuckles. “I love you.” He smiled.

“I love you too Daddy.” I smiled.

“I have to go do something, okay Baby Girl?” I nod. “Bye Baby. See you soon. Bye Cooper.”

“Bye Jerry.” Cooper nodded at him. Dad walked out and I looked at Cooper.

“What have I missed?” I asked raising my eyebrows.

“Nothing much just your dad and I got closer together. I really have been here the whole time so I have been finishing off my senior year here with you on my lappy top.” He nodded over to where he had a Mac on the table next to the couch were there was a pillow and a comfy blanket folded on the end. I looked up at him.

“You have been here with me?” I asked getting choked up again. He nodded pressing his lips to my head.

“Of course, the love of my life was in the hospital. We didn’t even know if she was going to wake up made me see something.” He looked down at me with his Navy blue eyes.

“What would that be?” I whispered.

“That I can’t live my life without you; seeing you in this bed for a month of you never moving on your own. I realized that I can’t live without you; I can’t have you as my girlfriend anymore.” He got off the bed and got down on one knee. In his hand was the perfect engagement ring. “I need to have you as my wife.” My hands shot up to my mouth. A nurse walked into the room and gasped and then ran out. “I can’t not have you in my life Grace. Will you marry me?” I felt the tears start to roll down my face. I nodded my head as a grin spread across his face. He got up and slipped the ring onto my finger. “I love you.” He kissed me.

“I love you too.” I placed both hands on his face and brought his face to mine. “Who knows you were going to do this?” I ask looking at the ring.

“Well me, your Dad, my Mom, and my Dad. No one else. Oh and your Uncle Charlie.” He nodded. I yawn and he looked down at me. “Go to sleep. I promise I will be here when you get up.” He kissed me. I nodded and laid my head on the pillow.

“Hey Cooper?”

“Yeah?” He yawned.

“I’m not going anywhere either.”