Chapter Twenty-Four

Blue and red lights.

That was all I saw when Natsu pulled in along the street of my father's driveway. An ambulance truck was parked across from Natsu's, and there were policemen pacing the yard with regretful looks.

I didn't even think before I bolted out of Natsu's car. I sprinted towards the house's entry, Natsu following and calling after me. A few police officers were about to stop me, but they resisted after recognizing me.

"Dad?!" I called as I pushed open the door, Natsu catching up to me and grabbing me by the waist to stop me. I fought against his hold. Something might've been wrong with Jude, "Dad, where are you?!"

"Lucy, calm down!" Natsu said, obviously trying not to be too rough in restraining me, "It's not him, Luce, it's not him!"

I should've known he'd read the minds of the men outside. I finally relaxed and turned to him as my father came into view.

"Where the hell have you been?" Jude exclaimed at me, looking as worried as I was for him, "Why didn't you take your car to school today? Answer me, young lady."

"She was with me, Chief Heartfilia." Natsu answered quickly, and Jude's attention fell on the Dreyer boy, "I gave her a ride this morning, I apologize for not talking to you about it. I wanted to surprise her." Jude's gaze fell to Natsu's arm wrapped around my waist and he blinked.

"...Lucy?" Jude seemed indifferent, like he was happy I was with someone he trusted, someone reliable, but he was conflicted that it was a boy.

"I'll explain later, Dad." I promised, and his expression softened a bit as Natsu let go of me, "What happened? Are you okay?"

Jude sighed in sadness, running a hand over his face, "Yeah, yeah. I'm okay, sweetie." He said, our arms finding one another before we realized what we were doing. We weren't usually lovey-dovey with one another, but I couldn't express the weight that lifted from my shoulders. Jude was okay. 

"I'm so sorry, Lucy." I heard my father mumble.

I looked up at him, "Why?" I asked in confusion, "What is it, Dad?" 

I scanned his face, seeing the hidden agony in his eyes. I looked at Natsu, knowing he could read his mind, to see an expression of anxiety. 

"Dad," I called one more time ,and Jude swallowed the lump in his throat, "What happened?"

"... Droy Lang was murdered." He finally mumbled. I blinked at him. It was like what he said flew right over my head.

"What?" My voice was small. I didn't recognize it. It didn't sound like it was my voice.

"We found his body in Sciliora Bay... He's gone." Jude said, and I could tell his mind was shut off. He was robotic.

"But... But he... He... What?" I stammered. My heart felt like it would beat out of my chest. A flaming hand embraced the small of my back, and I looked up at Natsu to see his face emotionless with the exception of his eyes. They blazed in vengeful fury.

I didn't know when I started crying. I couldn't feel the tears. 

He was alive. He was so alive less than a week ago. How?

Deep, suffocated breathes escaped my lips, and I felt like I was seconds from falling. Luckily, Natsu had me before I could. My head laid on his chest, and his arms wrapped securely around my torso while his head laid on top of mine. Jude's fingers combed through the back of my hair, his other hand rubbing my back as I sobbed.

A few moments later, Laxus Dreyer walked in in a long beige trench coat, a medical bag in his hand. I felt Natsu's head turn to acknowledge him. Jude walked around me and Natsu to greet the doctor.