Chapter Thirteen

Jude made me stay home the next day. He claimed there would be a painful aftermath of the wreck and wanted me to lay low until we knew for sure.

I hate myself. 

Why? Because I wanted to go to school... like... for real. For once, I really wanted to go to school. I had to see Natsu, I had to figure out what the hell happened and how it did. It was like a superb itch that radiated over my spine regardless of how many times I attempted to dispel the thought. The need to know what he did was killing me.

However, as I laid in bed, texting my now-sane-mother, I realized how irrelevant that information was. He was right... in a way.

He saved my life, and I should just thank him for it. His strategies, impossible as they may be, are the reason why I'm not a jigsaw puzzle at the moment. Sure, I really wanted to know how he did it, and I hoped I would some day find out, but it didn't change what he did.

All I needed to worry about was that he saved me, we're friends, and everything is fine.

But then his voice rang in my head again. Can't you just thank me, and get the fuck over it?

He was so harsh, so hell-bent on hiding the truth. Why did it matter so much? I pulled myself out of bed, and walked over to my desk, sitting down and turning on my laptop.

If he wouldn't tell me, then I'd dig for myself.

I went online and started searching symptoms of sudden speed, agility, and strength in dire circumstances. However, anyway I sliced it, Google would hit me with "Adrenaline Rushes". 

Give me a break. I realized how useless the internet was in my case, and decided that hardcore research was my best bet.

Deep in downtown Magnolia, a vintage bookstore sat on Strawberry Street. I wrote down the address on a Post-It note, and slipped it into my purse for future reference. I walked into my closet, noticing the sun beginning to set and deciding to plan an outfit for school tomorrow. I picked out my loose green sweater, dark blue skinny jeans, and light brown granny boots. I popped two pain-killers into my mouth, and then went downstairs to start dinner.

Looking in the fridge, I noticed that Jude went shopping and picked up some meat and vegetables. I decided on steak and asparagus. I also pulled out the instant mash potatoes for Jude since he wasn't a fan of the color green when it came to food.

After turning the asparagus and flipping the steaks on the stove, I felt my phone buzz. I pulled it out of my pocket, clicking the home button to see who had text me.

It was from my gal-pal group chat.

Jen: LUCY! I heard u couldn't make it to this year's prom?? You've gotta be kidding me!

Cana added a few seconds after.

CeCe: Is everything okay, Luce? 

I smiled, happy that one of my friends cared about my well-being more than my appearance at the event in May.

Me: Everything's fine, I just gtg out of town to check in with Layla. I'm srry ._.

I placed my phone down to turn off the stove, not before another buzz sounded.

Jen: ...well the least u could do is come with us to get our dresses. Me and Cece are heading out on Sunday. U in?

I contemplated. Shopping wasn't really my thing. I much rather preferred online-shopping. The idea was even less encouraging when I thought of the way Jenny would drool over the gowns.