Chapter Four

"What lunch do you have tomorrow, do you know?" Cana asked as we all exited the store to head to our cars. Two of the cars in the lot were gone, so I suspected them to have belonged to the strange group of siblings we'd encountered.

"Um..." I pulled out my schedule to see A Lunch typed in bold next to my B-Day listing, "Tomorrow's B-Day, correct?"

"Yes indeed-ely." Jenny chimed.

"Then, I got A Lunch." I replied.

"Awesome, you'll have it with us. We were actually heading out to meet with some other friends later, if you wanted to come." Jenny offered, and I smiled softly.

"Thanks, but I'd rather save all the excitement for tomorrow. Plus, I gotta get some more stuff ready." I said, and they nodded.

"Well that's cool, but expect to meet more friends come tomorrow." Cana smiled, and I chuckled nervously.

"Can't wait." I said, as they bid me farewell and left for their own vehicles. I climbed into my little Bug and saw that it was a quarter 'til five. I drove over to the Ruby Tuesday's across the street, and picked up a Cesar salad and a Sherley Temple for lunch. As I set the route back to Jude's house, I turned the radio on to find a song I might take a liking to. Static voices washed over the stations: news reports, celebrity rumors, advertisements on home décor. 

One voice kind of caught my attention, though. It was rushed, scared. They must have been on the air live.

"...just in, numerous deaths reported and covered in the dark depths of Hargeon. Detectives covering the autopsies have confirmed the victims to be either drowned, frozen to death, or caught in complete and utter shock. Citations and more investigation will be under way, but citizens in the town have been notified to stay in doors come nightfall.." The voice faded out of my mind after that, and I continued on to another station.

Things like that really gave me the skeevies, and it frightened me even more to know it was happening only sixty miles south of Magnolia. Drowned, frozen, and in shock. I can understand someone being drowned, maybe even driven to shock, but frozen? Hargeon, like Clovertown, was known for the warm, "sunny-with-a-chance-of-cloud" weather. Even Magnolia wouldn't grant conditions like that, not during the spring. 

To be frozen would mean to be within Mount Hakobe. It just didn't add up.

I finally settled on a song I listened to all the time back home to ease my nerves: Awake by IHF.

The calm melody let my mind rest, and I continued on to Jude's. I got to a stop light and came to a break. Suddenly, music coming from an approaching car overpowered Awake, and I turned to see a black Jeep pull up to the halt line.

Gajeel Redfox laughed uncontrollably in the driver's seat as Levy McGarden's hair blew in every direction from the amount of wind coming from the open windows. Her little fists came in contact with his large bicep, but he didn't so much as flinch. It only had him laughing harder. They weren't the only ones in the car.

Natsu Dragneel sat in the back seat, chuckling at the two of them with a pair of head buds in his ears. They looked like a scene from a movie I would love to see. I smiled lightly, and the smile grew as Gajeel ruffled Levy's hair, making her more upset. Whatever she exclaimed made Natsu laugh out loud in the back. And his smile was easily worth a thousand pictures. It was the way it took up the entirety of his face. Right before their light turned green, Natsu glanced out of the window again, his eyes drifting to mine before they pulled off.

They didn't look away as they left.

***

I grabbed the key from under the welcome mat to unlocking Jude's front door and enter the house.