Chapter Seventeen

The sun began to dip under the horizon much faster than I expected. 

Every time I thought I was getting closer to my destination, Google Maps would prove me wrong. One more block? Psych, two and a half more miles!

What the actual fuck is wrong with me? I'm actually thinking about finding a therapist, because my curiosity gene is beginning to take me to a whole new level. But at the same time, I continued to remind myself. 

Never in my life have I ever found something this intriguing.

It almost felt like it was my duty to find these answers, let alone the fact I really wanted them. So I continued to walk up and down hill after hill, the sun bidding the day goodbye as the moon rose to caste over the night. I plugged my hands into the pockets of my hoodie, the night breeze coming in a bit harder than before.

A few more blocks down, I began to see an open sign etched in neon lights. The street lights illuminated the concrete sidewalks, and I practically galloped to the perfectly vintage bookstore. As I made it to the entrance, I noticed a few men across the street, wolf-whistling at me. I shook my head, rolling my eyes as I entered the warm store.

A gorgeous woman stood behind the clerk desk, packing up her bag and storing a few last minute books. She had long navy blue hair, held out of her face with a light blue headband. Her skin was ivory, smooth and glowing. Her eyes were a deep blue, almost matching her hair color, and she wore a sleeveless white turtleneck sweater with a knee-length light blue skirt.

The door's bell caught her attention, and she looked up at me, smiling almost instantly.

"Lucy Heartfilia, is that you?" She grinned, and I looked at her in confusion, "I'll be damned, hon, look at you."

"Um... Do I... know you?" I asked skeptically, and she shook her head.

"No, you were much too young to remember. I met you when you were barely a year old, but your father has kept your pictures up to date." She chuckled, continuing to stock a book cart with novels.

"Oh. Well, I guess it's nice to meet you again," I chuckled, "Miss...?"

"Oh, don't worry about formalities. We're almost family members, really. I'm Loke's aunt, Maura. He's been talking about you a lot." She explained, and my mouth dropped slightly in surprise.

"Oh wow, that's kind of embarrassing. I'm sorry, I wish I could remember." I laughed, and she giggled.

"It's absolutely fine, sweetie. What can I do for you?" She asked, and I immediately remembered why I came.

"Uh, I wanted to pick up a book. I saw that it was available here."

"You're just in luck, I was about to close up." She turned and pointed to a computer in the back, "Go on over and search it up in the library's domain. Call me whenever you're ready." She said, and she disappeared to the back of the store.

"Thank you." I called and I heard a distant No prob.

The computer buzzed to life, and I was met with a library patented search engine. I typed in "Wars of the Celestial Tribe: The Dark Ones," and five entries popped up: the three articles and the two books. I clicked on the paperback version of the book since it was cheaper than the hardcover.

After noting its location within the bookstore, I went through the Mythology section and crouched down while walking through the aisle.

The spine of the book was long and thick. I removed it from the shelf and examined it entirely. It was black with red lettering in the title. The cover displayed a dark shadow, its glowing red eyes the only thing shown within its features. A young woman with tattered clothing was draped in the shadow's arms like a rag doll, drained of all her life.