Chapter 1: Deployment

One of my favorite quotes is something I live by. People change, Things go wrong, but just remember, life goes on. That it's what my Dad always told me.

"Grace you ready yet?" My brother asked. I looked at him though the mirror. He had black straight hair in a 'Justin Bieber' style for the winter months. He had moms forest green eyes. He had that smile that could light up a room.

"Almost Jesse let me just get my bag." He grabbed my bag for me, "or not." I muttered under my breath. The thing about Jesse is he is a little bit over protective. By a little I mean a lot. I just shook my head, grabbing my wallet and keys before walking out of the room. Today was the day. The day my dad leaves for an 8 month tour in Afghanistan. It's one of those things you grow up with, you think you would get used to but you never do. The tears welled up in my eyes as I stood in our living room, looking at Dad wearing his new camo afghan camouflage.

"Come here baby." He smiled weakly at me. He hugged me close to him. "I love you."

"I love you too Dad." I sniffed back the tears. "Stay safe Marine."

"Yes Ma'am." He laughed through his tears. He hugged Jesse, Uncle Charlie, and me one last time before he left with his buddy.

"Come on Grace we got to get a move on it." Uncle Charlie rubbed my shoulders. If you're wondering where my mom is, she left us 10 years ago. Well now we are off to Uncle Charlie's house for the next 8 months. Did I mention it's in Wisconsin; while I live in North Carolina, and before that Kentucky? Great. Well Jesse has been living there for a week, he started school and everything.

"Come on Gracie, you'll love it." I looked at him like he is crazy.

"Sure Jesse. Sure." I laughed to myself...........

Well here we are, in a small town in Wisconsin. I parked my truck in Uncle Charlie's driveway. Jesse turned to me. "You sure you're okay Sis?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm fine. Let's just go in." I opened my door as he just watched me.

"Hey Kid, did you have a good drive?" I nodded, smiled and ran up the stairs to my old room from when I used to stay here. It hasn't changed in the past 10 years. I haven't been here since mom left. I looked around the room to see all my colored pictures hanging on the walls. I smiled at them. One was of Connor, my 21 year old brother who is in the marines, Jesse and me. Another was of Dad and me with him in his poorly drawn dress blues, one of Uncle Charlie and me.

"I remember when you drew those." Uncle Charlie smiled from the door way.

"So do I." I sighed sitting down on my full size bed.

"You miss him Kid? Or is it your mom?" He sat next to me.

"I miss dad. I don't have a mom." I put my head on his shoulder. He kissed my head.

"I love you Grace don't forget that. Now unpack, because you have school in the morning." With that he left. I unpacked my bags then lay down on my bed ready to sleep. On my nightstand I had a picture of Dad and me when we went to the Marine Corps Ball last year on Parris Island. I picked it up looking at it closely.

"Night Dad," I whispered putting it back before lying down to fall asleep............

"You ready Grace?" Jesse yelled up the stairs.

"Yeah." I yelled grabbing my wallet and keys putting them in the pockets of my skinny jeans, and pulled on a blue hoodie. I ran down the stairs were Jesse was standing with my black book bag and his. I handed him my keys. We got to school quietly, only the sound of the radio playing.

"You ready for your first day of school in Wisconsin?" He said pulling up to the large brick school building.

"No." I laughed.

"Well then put on a brave face." He smiled. I hopped out and slowly walked to the main office to get my information I need. When I got there the principal smiled at me.

"You must be Grace; Captain Charlie called to say you were coming today." She smiled at Uncle Charlie's name. Uncle Charlie is the Police Captain in this small town. I nodded. "Well here are all the things you will need, I know your brother started last week but I have someone in all your classes show you around. She picked up her phone and smiled at me. "Can you please send in Kirsty for me?" She said before she hung up the phone.

I stood there and smiled shyly at her. I am a very shy person when I don't know people. Dad said I get it from my Grammy, his mom. I don't know why but I just don't believe him. "Thank you Ma'am."

"Oh no Ma'am. You can just call me Miss Green." She smiled back at me. Just then the door opened to reveal a girl. She was about 5 ft 4, had red hair and a bright smile. "Ah Kirsty this is Grace; she's new here so don't scare her off."

"Would I do that Miss Green?" Kirsty smiled innocently. Miss Green laughed.

"Run along kids before you're late for class." I smiled at Miss Green one last time before walking out with Kirsty.

"Okay so I'm Kirsty, but you can call me Kirk, Kirky, really whatever you want. So you're Grace?" She asked.

"Yeah, but you can call me Gracie if you want." I smiled at her. She took me to a locker.

"This is your Locker, number 267. Mine is 268 so I'm right here." She smiled at me. I nodded putting my bag in my locker. "Okay so we have 11 English, then 11 History, Art, then 11 Algebra. After that we have lunch so then we can talk." She smiled at me.

"Okay, but where's English?" I asked with a small smile. She rolled her eyes at me with a small smirk on his lips.

"Oh I'm going to like having you here." She laughed. "Come on I will show you." She pulled me down the hall way to a class room..........

........ Classes were fine. I got my books and homework. It was lunch now and Kirsty and I were on the lunch line. "So how do you like the school so far?" She asked putting pudding on her tray.

"It's good. Not as bad as I thought." I smiled grabbing a cheese burger. She brought us to an empty table. "Tell me about yourself." I smiled pulling my legs up on my chair taking a bite of my burger.

"Sure, I'm an only child. Um.... I'm English. I moved here with my parents from the UK when I was little. I have a bad temper so you shouldn't piss me off." She laughed. "Oh and I love, love, love, love Nickelback with a burning passion."

"That's cool. I love Nickelback too!" I smiled. I saw Jesse walk in with his group of friends laughing. He looked around and smiled at us.

"So tell me about your family Patty." She said taking a spoon of her pudding.

"Okay so I have two brothers, Connor and Jesse, I have a father and I am right now living with my Uncle Charlie. Um my Mom left me, my Brothers, and Father about 10 years ago." I grabbed a French fry from my plate.

"Captain Charlie?" I nodded. "That's cool." She said giving me a thoughtful nod.

"I used to live in North Carolina and before that I lived in Kentucky." I smiled.

"I heard they have good fried chicken there." She laughed.

"Nah, the best is in Pittsburg, Kansas." I said before taking a drink of my soda. She looked at me like I was crazy. "Yeah it's the fried chicken capital. Best you can ever have." I laughed before taking another bite of my burger.

"Good to know." She laughed. I saw Jesse coming towards us and I smiled at him.

"Good afternoon Ladies." He smiled. Kirsty blush a light pink.

"Hi Jesse." She smiled. I shook my head smiling as he turned a seat around and sat on it folding his arms on the back.

"How do you like the school Gracie?"

"It's fine Jesse. I just you two know each other. But Kirsty this is Jesse my brother, Jesse this is Kirsty my new friend." I slapped his hand as he tried to grab a French fry off my plate.

"Nice to meet you Kirsty." He smiled at her causing her hazel eyes to twinkle. "Now why don't you two come to my table?"