Broken Down

The new couples Chevrolet twisted around the corners of the highway in the depths of the woods. The weather hadn't grown cold yet and it was perfect for going down to the lake house to spend the week there.

What worried Henry and Rita as they drove on was the low gas that was sitting just above empty. Rita's eyes scanned over towards the red empty sign and rubbed her temples in a nervous way to keep out the bad thoughts of getting stuck on one of Maines highways at night, she looked at Henry who's eyes were focused on the road and the light of the headlights that put a spotlight on the grey cement in front of them.

"Henry, we should have put more gas in the tank before we left, or brought another can. We're gonna run out before we get there." She looked over at Henry who's jaw was clenched and his eyes still set on the road ahead. Rita sighed, he was angry because he knew she was right, they should have brought more gas.

The wind outside the car kept howling and the trees swayed in the wind. They passed a sign that said 'Rest stop in 2 miles', Rita's eyes glowed hopefully and she looked over at Henry who saw the sign and gave a sigh of relief, when the car started lurching and slowed down until it stopped dead. Henry looked surprised, glanced over at the gas tank and saw the arrow pointing at the Empty sign. Rita groaned, rubbing her temples again and rested her head on the dash.

"Lets get out and roll the car onto that driveway over there so we can at least get it off the highway." Rita nodded and they put the car in drive, Henry got out while Rita steered and they were able to get it off the road onto the driveway. Henry peeked into the window and Rita rolled it down,
"I'm going to go walk to that test stop and get a gas can, I'll be back in about 45 minutes or so. Stay in the car and don't follow me, I don't want you getting lost." Rita nodded and gulped, wide eyes looking around at the trees that flung their branches out in each direction. She didn't want to be left alone, but had know choice, she would rather sit in the car then go out there. Henry patted her shoulder and smiles,
"I'll be back soon." Then he walked off, onto the highway and kept going, disappearing into the dark. Rita reached back, grabbing the blanket in the back seat and sitting there.

About an hour had passed and Henry hadn't come back, she was starting to get nervous and it didn't make it better when a soft thumping started bumping into the roof of the car, she knew it was just a branch but the sound made her uneasy, she couldn't see it and she had woken up to it after she fell asleep 30 minutes into waiting. She looked out the window and contemplated on if she wanted to get out to find Henry or stay in the car and wait. She turned on the headlights again and unlocked the doors, slowly she opened the door and got out, her glasses falling down in the process. She leaned down and grabbed them, but then took a double take at the ground when she noticed a wet substance in a puddle. She looked at the side of the car and saw it dropping down the car, at first it looked like mud or rust but then noticed that it was actually red. She gulped and slowly looked up, a scream leaving her mouth as her husbands body dangled from a tree by a rope, blood dripping down his neck from where his throat was slit and he was repeatedly stabbed. The blood dripped on to the car and made a fine trail run down the side, the thumping continued as his body swayed back and forth and his feet thumped against the roof of the car.

Thank you for reading! It means so much to have reached 34,000 views, I owe you guys so much. This story was inspired by many other versions of this that I've heard before, hope you guys enjoyed it! Go follow my sfx makeup Instagram called @gracetarackasfx , go see the crazy makeup I do!! 😁