19 | mockingjays

IT'S BEEN MONTHS since I last received news from Sejanus nor Coriolanus

IT'S BEEN MONTHS since I last received news from Sejanus nor Coriolanus. Sejanus never left me without a letter for more than a week. Something felt wrong. This house grew more quiet than it is, if that's even possible. I waited for a reply from them, but it never came. It seemed like years since we last had a real conversation.

My stomach was growing awfully fast. It's my fourth month. Not to mention, I had already started university. The whole environment was completely different from the Academy, beside the familiar faces. Only a few knew about the baby, which were my parents, the Snows, Lysistrata and Clemensia. Both of my parents weren't big fans of the pregnancy but they seemed to accept the fact over time.

I spent endless nights trying to catch up with studying. Ever since the mentoring, Sejanus' and Coriolanus' absence, I haven't spare a glare towards my books. I know it's unhealthy for the baby but as time goes by, I had lost all motivation om becoming a mother. I couldn't raise this child alone while her father is serving the country for half of his life. The child would be twenty by the time Coriolanus comes back. She'd spend twenty years of her life not knowing about her father.

With puffy and exhausted eyes, I dashed down the stairs, to the kitchen. I grabbed a sandwich and went to where all the chatting was sourced. "Oh, Vivy. You're here."

I dropped my sandwich to the floor as I saw the man I truly adored, the father of my child, standing in the living room. I ran into his arms and wrapped my legs around his waist as he picked me up. "Coryo," I whispered.

"My dove."

I grabbed his cheeks and connected our lips for a kiss. Oh, how I missed the warmth of his lips. The kiss was slow and soft. A passionate one. He gently put me down and took a seat next to Pa.

"So where's Sej, Coryo? I thought he went to serve with you." I asked, plopping on the chair next to Ma. I couldn't wait to see him. To feel the warmth and comfort in my brother's arms.

"He's not coming back, Vivy." His voice was quiet, I could barely make out the words he was saying.

"What?" I laughed, maybe he's kidding. What a jokester.

"He's gone, Vivy."

I looked at my parents to see if this was true. They were too calm for it to be true. "We planned on telling you, but we thought you wanted to hear it from Coryo." Ma said, her head hung low. "He was hanged, a few days ago, for treason."

I felt as if my whole world stopped spinning. I haven't felt lost since my parents' passing. I felt as if my heart stopped beating. The oxygen being cut from my lungs.  I slid down on the floor, hugging my knees as I rocked myself.

"I'm sorry, Vivy. I tried to save him but I just couldn't. I tried so hard." I couldn't hear anything that came out of his mouth. The chat with my parents was just distant voices.

Sejanus.

My Sejanus.

My brother.