O1 | prize

"A traitor! That's what you are!"

BOMBS AND FEAR LINGERED in the sky

BOMBS AND FEAR LINGERED in the sky. People were clamoring and jostling against each other. I didn't know what was happening. Cries and screams were in the air. I didn't understand what was going on until my knees met the cold hard ground. It was dark even though it wasn't night time. Tears began to run down my cheeks as my hands were stained with the blood from my knees. My mouth screamed for my mother but there was no reply.

As I slowly got on my feet, a familiar figure came towards me. I didn't manage to make out who it was since it was her back that was facing me. I couldn't hear what she was calling out due to the intensive ringing in my ears. Slowly but surely, the ringing began to fade, and that was when I heard what she was saying. It didn't take me long to run to her embrace.

The woman cupped my cheeks and told me to hide. Hide and don't come out until the chaos was over, and as much as I didn't want to, I did. I ran and hid behind some rubble nearby and stared at my mother as she raised her hands and pleaded to spare her life.

"A traitor! That's what you are, Prescott!" One of them yelled.

I was old enough to understand what traitor was but I didn't know what they meant. We didn't do anything to betray people's trust. We were trustworthy, that's what my father used to say.

I looked up when I heard a scream. A gut wrenching scream. And that was when I see her, laying on the ground as blood stained her blonde hair. I covered my mouth while tears began to stream like a river. My mother was dead and my father was no where to be seen.

 My mother was dead and my father was no where to be seen