11 | monsters

"MISS PRESCOTT

"MISS PRESCOTT." The call made me perked up. It was Dr. Gaul's low, eerie, dead voice. It was haunting. Not to mention the hall was dark, nobody else except for Coriolanus, the woman standing beside me and I.

"Dr. Gaul, I– is everything okay? Is it Reaper? Is it about the interviews? I swear, I had nothing to do with it–"

"Unless you can put a leash on your deluded brother, he might as well be dead as far as you're concerned." She said, her head leaning over the computer.

My eyes made their way to the screen behind her. "Sejanus," I whispered.

"Bread crumbs, I believe sustenance for a fallen comrade on his final journey. A District 2 superstition." I didn't need Dr Gaul to tell me what he was doing. It was something that our family practiced. Even at my parents' funeral, Sejanus helped me spread the bread crumbs.

"I'll work on finding the Peacekeeper he bribed to get him in and cut out their tongue." The sentence sent chills to my spine. Another reminder to never mess with her. "You, however, Miss Prescott, must work on getting your brother out. You have an hour to do so."

I obeyed her instructions and gently stood up, trying not to make the boy behind me wake up. "Tick tock tick tock, Miss Prescott." Dr Gaul gave me one last look before vanishing in thin air.

As I walked to the door, I felt a hand grabbing my wrist. I turned around to see Coriolanus. His blond curls were messy, eye bags forming under his eyes. "I'm not letting you go alone."

"This is my brother. I don't need your help, Coryo." I turned my heel and attempted to walk away, but his gripped tightened even more.

"I don't need your permission, dove. Going there without protection is a suicide mission."

I sighed. "Just let go of my wrist. And hurry up, we only have an hour."

"