12 | surprises

MY EYES FLUTTERED OPEN

MY EYES FLUTTERED OPEN. Last night was full of toss and turns and muffled cries as yesterday's events came flooding in my mind like a storm. Coriolanus was not in the empty space beside me. I sat up, studying the four walls I was surrounded by.

It all didn't make sense. I thought they inherited his father's wealth. I took a hold of the eviction notice on the kitchen table. Coriolanus never mentioned anything about his financial state to us, he knew that we could help.

"Dovey, you're awake!" My hand quickly hid the piece of paper in my pocket. I thought of showing it to Pa when I get home, it's the least they could do. I saw that look in his eyes last night, even though it was dark but his eyes glimmered with something I've never experienced before. Pa never looked at me that way, he never even looked at me. I don't think Pa ever saw me as a daughter. He only tolerated me because Ma insisted on taking me in.

"Morning, Tigris." I greeted with a smile.

"I heard your cries last night." She pointed out, pulling a seat next to me. "Coryo also told me what happened."

I didn't have a response to her words. "I saw this glaze of greed in his eyes when he told me. Greedy for power." She paused. "Please don't let him become like his father. You're the only one that can help me, Dovey."

"I'll try, Tigris."

Coriolanus appeared in the doorway, water dripping from his wet hair. "You should get ready, love."

"I can lend you my uniform. But I made a couple of alterations to it. I hope that's okay with you."

"I would wear all of your fashion creations if I could. Of course, I wouldn't mind some changes in the uniform."

Tigris let out a small squeal as she ran to her room. "You'll love it!"

 "You'll love it!"