Weight Of A Life

(First of all happy new year for 2024, and may the odds be ever in your favor, secondly)

(I am absolutely terrified of the Bera Vs Brutus moment because I have this scene in my head and I just shit myself thinking of the monster she is becoming and the monster she'll look like at that moment.)

"You've not talked to her."

"Hmm?" Bera rose a brow, a simple black dress.

"You've talked to Mellark." Enobaria pointed out. "You have not said a word to Everdeen."

"She succeeded in making me want to piss on her grave even before the games."

"As blunt as ever I see." Enobaria leaned against the wall next to Bera, sure she was had yes to thinks but in public it was their ever known distance, even in private she still had her demons about what she believed Bera to be.

But this remark was truly one only Bera could make and she loved that in her.

She did hear of the almost shot in the face arrow of Katniss up at the victor and she had a bone to pick with her because of it, stop trying to hit Bera in the face with everything will you before Enbaria hits you with a mini fridge in returned for messing up her pretty face.

She could understand Bera was irked, she tends to hold grudges a lot, she had not been present for when Brutus lost his face, trust her, that's the word to use, lost. But she heard and felt the aftermath. The tension in the air and the fear Bera held was palpable.

But even that wasn't the thing that seemed to irk her.

"Come." She grabbed her wrist and pulled her along.

"Where are we going?"

"I only know of two place away from view this mess."

"I don't want to climb stairs so no to the roof."

"That or the kitchen, choose."

"Fine for the roof."

At least the elevator wasn't turned off like last year so there were no stairs to be used.

"It is always pretty up here, I get why every book character has roof top scenes." Bera said to herself, hands behind her back with one holding the other's wrist, walking to the railing as she watched the blues and purple of the sky only disturbed with the white whips of the clouds and the blood orange glow becoming prominent around the setting sun even if tall buildings blocked out most of that sight. "Who wouldn't write about such a nice, isolated and calm place any time they get? A place cut from the would while still being part of it."

"Bera you love the sound of your own voice." The lower district victor just chuckled softly to herself, hands still behind her back as she looked over her shoulder.

"I have a nice one, would be a shame to not use it." The light of the sunset cast a wonderful glow on her, the gentle breeze whipping through her let down hair, the hue it created in her eyes. Enobaria didn't bring her here for that but it was a nice bonus.

"You seem tense, Johanna was it? She pissed you off before her games, Katniss too but you've held the same anger in your heart."

"I hate how good you can be at reading me, and here I thought I was a wall of ice."

"Bera, what's wrong?"

Bera sighed, looking back ahead, it was like the sun was rushing to leave, not wanting to be part of this discussion to come, the blues and violets more indigo and black with the reddish blood glow being lower between the buildings.