5) cottage

Charlie has been working on the house all day. She has set up the fridge, and her bed that I get to share with her. It was about 2 feet off the ground and she put the sheets and a super comfy blanket on, along with my yellow blanket that mommy gave me.

I could sense the sadness radiating off her. I don't want her to be sad. I love her.

It makes me sad that my big sissy had to get boo boos all over her body to protect me. Why does 'The Monster' hit her?

Was she being punished?

Were they playing a game?

Charlie would never tell me, but I know that she is hurting. In her brain and her body. She needs someone to be there for her.

I may be young, but I know that I had to be that person for her. She always told me I was really smart and needed to be in 1st grade instead of kindergarten. Being locked in a bedroom, gives me a lot of extra time to read.

"Hey Tobes, what do you want for dinner?"

"MAC AND CHEESE!" I yelled. It was my favorite meal in the entire world. "I thought you would say that." she giggled.

She took the newly bought boxed mac & cheese and dumped it into a cheap pot. "You ready for school tomorrow?" She asked while pouring water into the pot.

I loved school. It feels good to know what your doing and to get all of the answers correct to tests. They ask dumb questions like "what is 2+2?" Do they think I'm stupid. I'm honestly insulted.

"Yes Charwie, school is rewy fun. and I made a new friend!!"

"Yay!! What's us their name?"

"Lexi."

Lexi has beautiful long brown hair that curled at the tips; and big brown eyes.

"Ooooo a girl," she teased, causing me to blush. "Your blushing, looks like somebody has their first crush."

"Nooooo... girls have cooties!!" I persisted.

Though she was really really pretty.

"Whatever you sayyyy Tobes."

"I'm sewious!" My eyes were stern.

"I can't take you sewious when you have such a cute voice." She mocked me.

"Take that back!! I'm a man, I am not cute." A loud laugh left her mouth. Who does she think she is?

I jumped onto her and tried to pull her onto the ground. "Sissy, I said take it back."

"Never."

She picked me up and threw me onto the couch lightly. Fine. She wins this round. "I give up."

A big smile formed on her face.

Charlie is one of those people that, when you see them smile, it makes you smile. She's like a ray of sunshine in this dark world. I don't know much, but I do know that Charlie is different from everyone. She's genuine. Those are big words. Reading the dictionary pays off.

Toby and I had to walk to school now

Toby and I had to walk to school now. The car was still at my school and I didn't have the money to fix it just yet.

Laughter filled my ears as I walked into my high school. The floors were the basic white tile with grey splotches. The walls were painted red and blue; the school colors. Screeches from shoes echoed in the halls. "Hey beautiful." I recognized that voice any where. Carter.

"How's my favorite person?" I asked him as he gently punched my arm, causing me to flinch. I couldn't help but think about John punching me. Over and over again. "Charlie? Are you okay?"

"Oh yeah I'm fine. Just lost in my thoughts like usual." A nervous laugh left my mouth.

"What are you thinking about?" Dang it. I should've thought this through.

"Uh- the season of 'The Bachelor' is ending and I'm nervous about who she picks."

"Classic Charlie.." He softly punched me again, it sent a sharp pain through my arm and caused me to make a face.

It wouldn't so bad if i hadn't just gotten a beating. But my arm was still badly bruised. To be fair, its only been 2 days since we escaped. "Okay seriously, what is going on with you?"

The bell rang. Thank goodness. "Got to get to class." I pushed past him and headed to my first period class.

To my surprise, Ames was sitting in the chair next to mine. I started walking over; my eyebrows furrowing.

"Hey Charlie," I tried to ignore him. No distractions. I need to pass all my classes so I can graduate, and then think about my and Toby's future. "I reallyyyy need help with the History assignment." Please leave me alone.

"Charlie?" He kept bothering. When I didn't reply, he started throwing paper balls at me. "Shouldn't you be like..yaknow...listening to the teacher?" I whispered.

Almost on Que, the teacher shushed us. A disappointed expression consumed his face.

He had a gorgeous face I must admit; dark blue eyes and full lips. Dirty blonde hair cascaded over his face.

School finally ended and I began walking to the Elementary school to pick up Toby. I heard fast footsteps and immediately put my guard up. My body swung around and I realized that it as just Carter. "Jumpy are we?" I didn't know how to reply to that.

"You flinch a lot." He laughed but there was some suspicion behind his voice.

"I uh-um I have a really really low pain tolerance," It came out as more of a question.

"Can I just go pick up Toby please?"

"May I walk with you?" He can't come home with me. He will become even more suspicious, but if i say no.. he will be suspicious. "Sure."

I began walking again and he stood besides me. "I really don't get to see you anymore Char, i miss you. We used to hangout everyday after school and then you started canceling on me."

"Awe," my heart sank. "I miss you too Car. I have just been busy taking care of my brother."

"Isn't that what your step father is for? He isn't you responsibility." I knew that he was right, that is how things should be. But circumstances make that impossible. "He works a lot." I lied.

" I lied

COMMENT

VOTE

FOLLOW

xoxo