52- No More

Annabeth's POV

My luggage was next to me. I held my ticket and phone in one hand and my handbag in the other. The thought of leaving New York suddenly dawned on me. This place became my home away from home. I was easily accepted here. I made new bonds, improved some, and led bonds to break.

"Annabeth!" Thalia and Piper ran up to me. They were the only ones who haven't left New York, yet. Mark left early with his dad for a business trip. As for Percy, I've stopped trying to check on him, though that's unavoidable. Media had already picked up the pieces. It's a matter of time, until they find another girl to pair Percy with.

"Ugh, I'll miss you." Thalia engulfed me in a hug. "This time, I'll keep in touch."

"You better," I replied. After Thalia and I exchanged words, Piper took her turn.

"I'll try to visit you, sometime. I heard Union Square is a good place to shop," she said.

I chuckled. "When you do, I'll give you a tour."

She smiled, then started looking around the airport. "Any news of him?"

"No. We made our choice. He puts his career first, and I'll put mine," I said. A small part of me wanted to stay, but if I do, what then? Say sorry to him for something I didn't do? For once, my pride is protecting me from another mistake.

I was so into my thoughts, that I didn't notice my eyes were wandering around, looking for him.

Stop that, I chided myself. You don't want him, anymore.

My eyes met Thalia and Piper. They looked at me with hurt and pity, and I hated it.

"I should go. My flight is boarding soon, and Mom's waiting for me past security," I said. They gave me one last hug, before I extended the handle on my luggage. As I turned to walk towards security, I felt a hand hold on my wrist.

"Can't you wait for a little while for him?" Piper pleaded. I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, but I'm done waiting for people," I said and made my way towards security.

-

It seemed like the security line went on for hours, and it didn't help when all I wanted was to leave that place. After I made my through, I stopped for coffee and bought some snacks for the ride.

When I reached my gate, I met up with Mom, who had her laptop on her lap and was rapidly typing. She insisted on going to San Francisco with me. I handed her her cup of coffee, and she thanked me.

My mind kept wandering back on to Percy, the people I'm leaving behind, memories I'm leaving behind, and what will happen next.

"How did you seem okay with leaving Dad and I?" I asked Mom without thinking about it. She closed her laptop and faced me.

"I wasn't okay," she said. "But I knew I was doing something good for everyone."

"I'm sorry I asked," I said.

"No, it's fine. I know you're going through a tough time, and I know I haven't been the best mother-"

"Stop," I said. I didn't need to hear of her shortcomings. "Just answer this question. How do you know you've moved on?"

She hesitated. "You know you've moved on when you're more in love with the memories than the person."

Percy's POV

I scrambled to get my clothes on. When I looked at myself at the mirror, I noticed the forming bags under my eyes, the mess of my hair, and the small  spots of purple and black, where I've gotten punched. As quickly as I could, I washed my face and brushed my teeth.

"Where are you going?" Mom asked. Her face had shock written all over it.

"The airport," I simply said.

"Percy..." she started, but I was already running for the door. "Just remember Grover's coming over!"

-

My fingers couldn't help but tap on the steering wheel. The traffic is so terrible that I might as well walk. To calm my frustration, I turned on the radio. By coincidence, the station was playing my new song. When it was over, they started their conversation. Typically, it never bothered me wen they do talk about me, but this one was different.

"Percy Jackson has had a rough time, since he came back from his hiatus," one said.

Glad someone noticed. I scoffed.

"Yes. Rumor has it Percy and Annabeth Chase called it quits," another one said. "Neither one have confirmed it, but Percy's recent activities have shown that the rumor could be true."

"Just this week, Percy was caught fist-fighting a guy named Mark Collins. Mark is the son of a multi-millionaire architect. They were fighting where Annabeth lives."

"Ooh, we might have tension between those two," she said. I'm glad they find my life amusing as a soap opera. They have to make my life exaggerated. I'm like their Friday night tv show.  

Out of frustration, I changed the station. But when I couldn't find anything, I gave up and turned it off. Finally, I made it to the airport. I quickly parked my car, and tried to find Annabeth. Instead of Annabeth, I found Thalia and Piper walking out of the doors.

"Where is she?" I asked frantically.

Piper shook her head. "She already left. You're too late." She walked off.

Thalia placed her hand on my arm. "Look what you've done."

-

"Percy, how was-" Mom started to say, but I was already in my room. I dejectedly slumped on my bed and placed my hands on my face.

Knock. Knock.

I looked up, and Grover stood there.

"I heard about the..." he stopped. I nodded. "It's okay. You'll find another girl. As for your career, we need to clean this mess. Clean this imag-"

"Grover," I said firmly. "Stop being my manager for once. I need a friend right now."

He sat next to me and patted my shoulder.

"As a friend, I hate seeing you like this. Lifeless. You're almost like Nico... Man that kid freaks me out," he laughed at his own attempt of a joke. When I just stared at him, he coughed. "Give yourself a break, Percy. No more. Let her go."

--------------------------------------------
I'm really tired right now, but I wanted to update. I've left the last chapter very open, and I wanted to get on with the next event.

Thank you for reading this chapter! The love and support this book has been getting is extremely amazing. I hope all of you stay until the very end. I appreciate any CC's or suggestions.

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS, BESIDES MARK AND DAVID COLLINS.

Vote and Comment 💙

-Brainy_dolphin<3