34- Headlines

Percy's POV

Another day, another struggle. Struggle of putting on colored lenses.

I got into my Peter getup. After that, I went inside the kitchen. Mom, Paul, and Grover were in a conversation, while sitting on the stools from the kitchen island. In the middle of the island, sat a stack of newspapers and magazines.

"Good morning," I said, walking towards the fridge to grab myself some orange juice.

"Morning, Percy," I heard Mom say. With my glass of juice, I sat down on a stool. Mom pushed a plate of blue waffles with syrup. I gorged on it.

It was quiet for a moment. They all stared at me while I ate. Finally, Grover picked up the stack of newspapers and magazines and slammed it next to me.

"What the hell is this?" Grover asked, his voice raised. I took a glance at the papers and saw what he meant.

I quickly skimmed through every magazine and newspaper. Each one weighed down on me, as if each paper gave me ten pounds to carry. Suddenly, my glass of juice and the plate of waffles seemed unappetizing.

All of them had the same pictures and similar headlines. It had pictures of Annabeth and I from yesterday, at Central Park. One was taken of me chasing Annabeth to the tree. Another was of me twirling her around. Another one was of us sitting at the base of the tree with our hands locked. Lastly, a shot of us kissing. All of the photos were in each magazine and newspaper. What made it worse was that in the photos wasn't Peter, it was me, Percy, with my hood and sunglasses off.

The headlines were just as worse. One said, "America's New Power Couple?!" Another said, "Percy Jackson Getting Comfy With New Girlfriend!" The last one took a toll, "Children of Former Rivals, Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase Are Together!"

How could they have gotten these out so quickly? I thought. When I thought this was all Grover needed to show me, he shoved his phone in front of me. The same things are in the phone. My fans and the entire social media are posting pictures and their opinions of Annabeth and I.

"I told you to be careful!" Grover yelled. I glanced at Mom and Paul, and both of them wore disapproving looks.

"We...we were being careful," I muttered. He raised his hands up in frustration.

He scoffed. "Yeah. I could tell you were being very careful," he said in sarcasm. "In Central Park, too! Of all places, you decide to reveal your relationship with Annabeth at Central Park!"

My ears grew warm. "I didn't decide to reveal it...nor did Annabeth."

"Because both of you weren't being careful!" Grover shouted. "Sally, Paul, and I have been telling you over and over again to be aware of where you display your relationship. I thought it would be planted in your head already!"

I couldn't speak. My hands shook as I flipped through pages of magazines.

"Do you realize how much this would affect you and Annabeth?" Grover asked. I couldn't respond. "The label clearly said to not have big announcements because of your comeback tour. Aphrodite's fashion show didn't count because the label approved. But this? No. You might lose your career! What about Annabeth? Hmm? Didn't you say that in Goode, people know that Peter and Annabeth are dating? And if they see these?" He held up the papers. "They will think she is a two-timer. An opportunist."

If Grover and the entire world found out about this this fast, Athena must know now, I shuddered at the thought.
Grover sighed when I stayed silent.

"Come to my office after you get out of school," He turned to leave. When he was almost out the door, he turned back. "Bring Annabeth with you."

Annabeth's POV