32- Nerf Gun Wars

Percy's POV

After giving gifts, opening them, and eating the Christmas dinner with Tyson, Mom and Paul, I waited at the porch for Annabeth. Mom and Paul were at a Christmas party with their friends, leaving Tyson and I at home.

The box felt heavy in my pocket. I could've taken it out of my pocket, but I was afraid that my hand would start shaking furiously.

I know that I said that I didn't want to get her the normal things that boyfriends would give their girlfriends, but Leo had insisted on making the present that I designed for Annabeth. He said that he would make it even better than what I imagined. I couldn't argue because I knew he could do it. The son of the world-renowned craftsman (Hephaestus) could surely do it. When Leo gave me the item, he did exactly just that.

Tyson walked in. "I've set up all the Nerf guns in the regular places. Why are you sitting out here in the cold?"

"Just waiting for Annabeth," I said. Tyson gave a small smile, nodded and skipped away. He changed. But for the better. I could tell that he seemed happy there. He's still the same big and caring guy, but there's a sparkle in his eyes. He traveled to Greece to study Marine Biology. He took on our father's love for water. Every Christmas, he tries to fly back here.

Knock. Knock.

I looked at the open door and saw Annabeth leaning against it. She gave me a grin. She wore a black skirt with tights underneath, a tucked in gray shirt, a black jacket, and a pair of black boots. She left her hair untied. In her hand, she held a box wrapped in blue paper.

"Hey," she said, taking a seat next to me. "Merry Christmas, Seaweed Brain."

"Merry Christmas to you too, Wise Girl," I said, cool smoke came out from my mouth. "Love the skirt, by the way."

She grinned and looked down, her blond hair falling in her face. "Yeah, Helen and Athena made me wear it."

I raised my eyebrows. "They're getting along? And you and Athena are getting along too?"

"I know. Surprising, right?" She said. "Maybe it's the Christmas spirit that's making everyone get along so well."

I snorted. "Christmas spirit."

She bumped me on the shoulder. She handed me the blue box.

"Open it," she said. Before I did, I took out the gray box from my pocket, relieved that the heaviness of it left me.

"You open it first," I insisted. She gave me a face and decided to open it.

In the box was a silver locket. She took it out from the box and turned it around. Both sides had words etched out in cursive. One side said: Wise Girl. The other said: Seaweed Brain.

She carefully opened the locket and inside (on the right side) was a picture of her and me, when we were at the Empire State. On the left side was the date: 11/6/16

"It's beautiful," she said, her eyes locked on the necklace. I took it and put it on her. "Your turn."

I quickly unwrapped the blue paper, revealing a box in a lighter shade of blue.

I pretended to look happy. "A box. T-thanks. It's what I needed actually-"

Annabeth guffawed. "It's not just a box, idiot."

I gave her a face. I opened the box and a small, silver figurine of a boy and a girl dancing, popped up. Annabeth took it from my hands and closed the lid. She turned the box and wound up the knob. She opened it again, but this time music came up and the figurine twirled. A music box, I thought.