Artificial (Android Levi x Reader AU)

"Where...am I?"

"You're in a laboratory," a male voice replied. Despite the softness in his tone, the gentleness, there was something commanding about him. Like he was made to give orders. "Where you were created."

Created...? "What am I?"

"You are an android – an artificial human. Your designation is AX8000. But that's a little cold, so we've decided to call you Levi."

"Levi..." he repeated, clumsily getting a feel for the name with a mouth that was unused to forming words. "What...am I supposed to do?"

When the man spoke, Levi could hear the smile in his voice. "Whatever we tell you."

------------------------------------------

Three years had passed since Levi opened his eyes for the first time. He'd spent them doing exactly what he was created to do – following orders. And the orders he'd been given to follow consisted of eliminating anyone who threatened the current regime.

The Benign Hand – as they called themselves – had been running this country from the shadows for over ten years, through the vessel of a puppet parliament. They were everywhere, always watching, controlling the lives of ordinary citizens who weren't even remotely aware of their existence. Democracy was an illusion. So was privacy.

However, peace and security – those were very real, and Levi played an important part in them. Every now and then, the Hand would allow him the opportunity to spend a few hours milling about a city or suburb like a human citizen, allow him to observe the safety and happiness enjoyed by the people. He liked those days. They made him feel his existence was worthwhile.

This is all thanks to you, the Hand would remind him. With one bullet, you save them all from a bloody war, time and time again.

Levi never questioned his orders. The people he assassinated were terrorists or military targets. By no means were they innocent. And by eliminating them, Levi did the world a favor.

But then came the day when Erwin slid the photo of a young woman across the table.

Levi's brow furrowed as he picked it up. "Who is she?"

The photo appeared to have come from a security camera – at a university, judging by the background. The subject herself was in her twenties and, at face, rather unthreatening. Levi wondered what she could've done to warrant an assassination order.

Erwin gave him a name, then, "She's a university student whose research has come dangerously close to creating android technology – a feat only accomplished by the Benign Hand thus far. For the safety of the country and the entire world, we can't risk it becoming widely available. We can't risk the general population even knowing such technology is possible, rather than simple science fiction."

Levi felt a small twist in his chest. It took him a moment to recognize the sensation as reluctance. "But...she hasn't done anything wrong, right?" he questioned.

Erwin frowned – and Levi quickly backtracked, not wanting to appear disobedient. He was a good android, different from the defective batches that had to be scrapped before him. "I only meant...if we recruit her instead, she could prove to be an asset. We could bring her here, to work for the Benign Hand."

"Out of the question," Erwin replied in a calm, detached tone while shaking his head. "Our analysts have already determined her political views are too deviant. She'd never accept the existence of the Hand – and we can't risk involving someone who might betray us."

"But –"

"That's enough, Levi," Erwin stated – and Levi immediately shut his mouth. The blond's tone may have been soft, but Levi could see his patience was running thin. "You have your orders. Can we count on you to follow them, for the good of all our citizens?"