Growing Pains (Apologetic Levi x Reader)

It was nighttime, and you and Levi were lying together in bed, with you spooning him, just like always. Except, it wasn't just like always. There was a lingering awkwardness from earlier, like you were trying to pretend it didn't happen even as you tiptoed around each other – as well as a heaviness to the silence of your bedroom, the weight of words yet unsaid.

Until Levi spoke.

"I'm sorry," he muttered quietly into the darkness. "I shouldn't have been so harsh earlier. You were just trying to do something nice for me."

His tone was composed, but you could hear the undercurrent, the small indications that he was upset with himself for reacting the way he had back then.

The last of the sun's rays lit the hallway as you knocked on Levi's bedroom door. It was almost dinnertime, and you'd come to see if he wanted to walk to the mess hall with you. Yet, when he opened his door, it became clear he wasn't ready.

"Um..." you stammered while trying not to stare at his shirtless form. Given that his hair looked damp, you figured he must've just finished showering. "I was going to ask if you wanted to walk to dinner with me, but..."

"Fine," he uttered, sounding angry, though it wasn't directed at you. "Just wait a minute."

"Sure. Take your time."

Levi left the door open as he walked away, which you took as an invitation. You stepped into his bedroom, sliding off your boots on the small mat by the door – you knew his rules by now – before closing it behind you. By that point, he was standing in front of his wardrobe, slipping his arms into a shirt, his sharp movements further leading you to believe he was agitated.

"Hey, is everything okay?" you asked, your brow furrowing with concern. "Did something happen?"

"Tch. That shitty Four-eyes happened," he growled as he fastened the buttons. "I told her not to get too close to the titan, but of course, she just had to do it anyway. And guess who had to save her ass."

"Oh," you murmured, recalling Levi was supposed to help with Hanji's titan experiment today. Apparently, it hadn't gone so smoothly. "Well, I'm sorry you had to do that, but I'm glad you're both okay."

"Okay? That's one way of putting it," he grumbled sarcastically. "Got covered in a bunch of goddamn mud when I tackled her away from that thing. Of course, I'm the one who has to suffer for that idiot's stupidity. And now I'm running late, because I had to wash it all off."

Ah – his mood made sense now. Levi was obsessive about cleanliness, and he even went as far as to wipe titan blood off his blades before it could evaporate. Naturally, he'd be incredibly upset if he'd been forced to get dirty.

"Gross," you stated sympathetically.

Levi grunted in agreement.

Given that he still seemed quite agitated, you wanted to do something to help him calm down, help take his mind off what had happened earlier. You bit your bottom lip as you wondered what might work. He'd already showered, so that was out. Maybe some tea? Or...

Your epiphany came as you watched him loop his cravat around his neck, and you recognized the perfect opportunity to dote on him.

"Here," you murmured with a smile as you stepped in front of him, reaching up to grasp the pristine white fabric. "Let me help you with –"

"I don't need help," Levi snapped, his eyes narrowing at you while he jerked the cravat away just as your fingers brushed it. "I'm not a child."

You froze, hands still outstretched, feeling as if you'd been slapped. In all the time you'd known him, Levi had never spoken harshly to you – and you didn't understand why he'd do so now. It wasn't as if you two didn't touch, didn't help each other with the gear, didn't squeeze into bed together every night.