The Bird Room (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hi, lovelies! PSA that this story contains unwanted physical contact. 

You observed Levi from across the ballroom, a confused frown pulling at your lips.

He'd been sticking close to Erwin all night, just as he usually did during these ridiculous parties – whenever the commander wasn't dragged off to dance with some noble, of course. Erwin made for an excellent social buffer, steering conversations and politely refusing advances so Levi didn't have to step too far outside his comfort zone. However, at the moment, even with Erwin right beside him, Levi looked distinctly uncomfortable.

They'd been having a conversation with some regional lord you didn't know and didn't particularly care to. Then they'd appeared to excuse themselves for a private discussion while the nobleman waited, a polite smile plastered on his face. When they returned, you saw Erwin give a nod, and the nobleman beamed triumphantly before fixing his attention on Levi.

You watched in utter disbelief while that man reached out and took Levi's hand, brought it to his lips. Then put an arm around the captain's waist. Then not-so-subtly grabbed his butt.

You would've expected Levi to start breaking bones before things got this far. He never, ever, let anyone touch him like this – especially noble pigs. Yet, rather than putting the man in the hospital, Levi was allowing the possessive contact. Moreover, he was smirking and winking at the man, almost as if he were...flirting?

Your frown deepened. Who was that person wearing Levi's skin, and what had he done with the real Levi?

You watched, shocked, while Levi let the nobleman guide him out of the ballroom. Yet, just before they left, the captain turned, glanced at Erwin. And as you processed the look he gave his commander – the sadness and betrayal – your heart sank.

He didn't want this.

Levi disappeared through the glass doors, and before you could even think, you were moving toward Erwin. The commander now stood alone, staring after Levi while slipping something small into his chest pocket. A key – you realized in the back of your mind. But your focus was distinctly on other matters.

"What was that?" you hissed, throwing away all regard for rank.

He blinked – his only sign of surprise at your sudden appearance. "It's nothing you need to worry about," he stated, his expression carefully neutral. "Simply a...negotiation tactic."

"Erwin," you insisted. "What. Did. You. Do."

Seeing that you wouldn't give up, the commander sighed, then explained, "Lord Aubrey has agreed to fully fund the Scouts' next expedition in exchange for one hour with Levi."

"What?" you snapped, altogether shocked and disgusted and horrified. "Absolutely not. I'm stopping this."

"Calm down. Levi agreed –"

"Only because you asked him," you shot back. "You know he'll do anything for you. But he doesn't want to. You saw the look on his face just as well as I did."

"We all have to do things that aren't exactly pleasant for the greater –"

"Not this," you insisted, holding his gaze. "You're not going to use Levi like this. Give me the key."

It must have gone to the room Levi was currently in. There was no other explanation. Of course, Erwin would ensure he had access.

The commander frowned. "No. We have to do whatever it takes for –"

Before Erwin could finish, you threw yourself forward and kissed him. Then, during the split second in which he was frozen with shock, you pulled the key from his chest pocket. You dangled it from your fingertips as you jumped back, showing it off with a grim smile.