Fire (Husband Levi x Wife Reader)

Levi has a double life – or that's how he thinks of it, anyway.

In one life, he's a soldier. A captain. He wears a uniform, as well as gear that leaves marks on his skin long after he takes it off. His days are spent flying across the training grounds, attending strategy meetings in Erwin's office, and doing paperwork in his own office. Every now and then, he rides out beyond the relative safety of the Walls to fight monsters with his comrades by his side – sometimes staying out there for over a week, sometimes mere hours, depending on how well things go. Always, he keeps a stoic face, always unflinching and untouchable. But inside, he's suffering, despairing over the comrades he's already lost, and worrying about the ones he has left.

In the other life, he's completely ordinary. A bit short for a man, perhaps, but otherwise unremarkable. He's no one. Except, to one person, he's everything. He's a husband who comes home to his wife as often as work will allow – which ends up being every other week or so, and it's never enough. Together, they live in an apartment above a bookstore, across the street from a café. It's a quaint but picturesque corner of town, and Levi enjoys the aesthetics. There, he dresses in casual clothes, fills his days with housework and errands and quality time with his wife. Anxieties and nightmares from the other life still claw into his mind, but they're quieter here – in this peaceful place, in the presence of his lover – and sometimes, he can even forget about them for a while. He can enjoy an average yet extraordinarily happy existence with the person he trusts and adores most.

He likes it that way, likes keeping his two lives separate. Most of his comrades don't even know he has a wife – he doesn't offer much information about himself, and they're too intimidated to ask about personal matters. Meanwhile, his wife knows everything, of course – but while she may listen to his troubles, give him comfort and advice, that other life of his will never actually touch her. At least, that's what he wants, what he hopes. Because his other life is too dangerous. People die all the time – gruesome, premature deaths – and it soothes him to know she's far away from all that. She'll stay inside the Walls, and he'll keep fighting titans to ensure they never reach her. She's the one person in his life who will never be in the line of fire, who he'll never lose like he's lost all the others.

Again, so he hopes. Because the universe has always been cruel to him. And he can't help but wonder if it won't matter how far out of harm's way he hides his wife, if fate will sweep in and take her anyway. Just like everyone else he's ever cared about.

Now, Levi is glad to be on his way home once again. He's a couple hours late – Erwin's strategy meeting ran long – and he doesn't want to push his already-tired horse in order to make up the lost time. Thus, he approaches town at an easy pace, enjoying the sight of the countless stars that twinkle down at him from the clear sky.

Well, he supposes, it isn't entirely clear. As the town comes into view, so does a growing black cloud above it. Figuring a storm is on its way, Levi encourages his horse into a trot, wanting to stable the animal and get home before the rain begins.

But as Levi draws closer, he realizes the black cloud isn't a cloud at all. On the breeze, he can scent burning wood. And his eyes go wide.

Fire.

Something is on fire.

He spurs his horse into a gallop, racing toward the town and then through it, bypassing the stables entirely, aiming for that peaceful home and the wife he cherishes so much.

Please – not our apartment, he begs silently of anything that is listening. Please. You've taken everything else. Not this too.

Yet, his heart sinks when he turns onto his street, and he realizes the building that holds their home is engulfed in flames. He doesn't stop, doesn't slow as he continues rushing toward the blaze and the small crowd gathered around it. The fire department is already there, throwing water on the disaster, but it doesn't matter, because what if she is inside?