Better Friends (Levi x Undervalued Reader)

"Thanks, (f/n). You're always such a good friend to me."

"Anytime."

Levi scowled when he heard those voices drifting down the hallway. Sure enough, when he arrived at the doorway to the common room, he saw his fellow squad leader, (f/n), giving a supportive hug to her "friend". Yet, Levi would hardly call the man as such – not with how he treated her.

The cycle had continued like clockwork ever since the two of them arrived from the Trainee Corps. This guy would start pining after someone, and he would lean heavily on (f/n) for encouragement and advice. However, once he started dating the object of his affections, he would discard (f/n) like yesterday's trash, blowing off every one of her attempts to spend time with him in favor of his new "love". Then, when the romance inevitably ended badly, he would crawl right back to (f/n). And because she was such a kindhearted person, she would welcome him back like nothing ever happened, supporting him while he whined and complained about his ex until a new crush developed, and the cycle began again.

It made disgust curl inside Levi's stomach. (F/n) deserved better than having to slave as emotional support for someone who always regarded her as a second choice. Honestly, he didn't know why she bothered.

"Well, I guess I should get to bed. Our squad's got an early start tomorrow," her friend stated as he detached himself from her. "Catch you later."

"Yeah, see you."

The bastard didn't notice Levi until he was almost past him – and at that point, he nearly tripped over himself as he was met with the intensity of the captain's glare. Levi was well aware of the effect he had on people, and most of the time, he didn't enjoy intimidating them to the point of terror. However, this one deserved it.

As (f/n)'s friend picked up his pace and sped down the hallway, Levi entered the common room, where (f/n) was cleaning up the tea set they'd apparently been using.

"Tch," he uttered, immediately going to help her. "Your friend couldn't even stick around to clean up?"

"Oh, it's not like that," she assured him with a gentle smile as she took an empty cup from his hand. "I offered to do it myself. But I appreciate your help, Levi."

The ravenette shook his head. "Honestly, I don't understand why you bother to be so nice to a guy who drops you for someone else at the first opportunity," he muttered, barely concealing his anger.

(F/n) sighed. "It's alright. I'm used to it," she replied, still smiling. "I've always been the friend people come to for support or advice, but otherwise...well, I'm sure there are more fun people to hang out with. Besides, he at least gave me some good memories when he did spend time with me, so it's fine."

"It's not fine," Levi growled, the leash on his anger slipping as his eyes flicked to her, forgetting the tea set completely. "You shouldn't waste your time on fickle people. You don't deserve to be treated like that."

(F/n) blinked in surprise at the sudden intensity in his tone, but then her smile turned sad. "And what am I supposed to do instead?" she asked softly, accepting of her fate. "After all, it's not like I can change the way people are. Maybe things are just meant to be this way."

Beneath that flimsy smile, Levi could see all the loneliness she tried to hide, all the pain of being discarded. And he hated it – because in his eyes, she was one of the most admirable people in the world. He didn't want her to go through life thinking that she was only ever meant to be forgotten.

So he went out on a limb and stated, "That's not true. You're brilliant, (f/n). You're loyal, and smart, and a good fighter, and the kindest person I've ever met. If other people can't see that, then screw them. Personally, I'd be happy to spend time with you."