The Captain's Captain (Levi x Pirate Reader)

(Levi)

As usual, there was a fair amount of cheering when (f/n)'s ship pulled into the harbor just before sunset, when the captain herself descended the gangplank – sporting her usual devilish smirk while she waved to the onlookers.

Levi watched from the shadow of a building, slightly removed from the crowd and unnoticed by it. He had left the barracks before dawn so he could be here when that ship arrived, just as he always was, because the higher-ups had designated him to collect any relevant information (f/n) brought back from her voyages. At least, that was the official reason for his presence here.

The discovery of the sea and the world beyond had come with a whole slew of new threats. Of course, Eren and Armin were fully capable of taking out invading ships, but they couldn't be wasted on patrolling the seas every second of the day. Thus, in the absence of any naval force whatsoever, the Azumabito family had assisted Paradis in hiring foreign privateers to patrol the waters around their island.

Levi had quickly learned that privateers was a nice way of putting it. (F/n) and the others like her were really nothing more than government-sanctioned thieves – pirates, as they were called on the sea. In exchange for disabling Marleyan ships, they got to keep any valuables they found onboard. While money and jewels weren't common on warships, Levi knew (f/n) made a hefty profit from selling all the weapons and materials she and her crew commandeered – to Paradis and Hizuru, of course. In fact, he suspected she had more riches than even Queen Historia.

She certainly knew what she was doing as she barked orders at her crew and the dockworkers, coordinating the transfer of whatever valuables they'd brought back. She got things started, observing with hawklike vigilance to ensure the dockworkers were handling things properly, before delegating the task to one of her officers. Then at last, her eyes found him at the edge of the crowd. Her expression softened almost imperceptibly.

She stepped toward him, and the crowd parted for her, like water around a rock. However, it was a slow process. Stories of her exploits were told and retold throughout the island, and her fans wanted to express their appreciation.

"Well Captain, did you give those ugly Marleyans a thrashing?"

"Thanks for keeping our seas safe, Captain!"

"My daughter wants to be just like you!"

(F/n) acknowledged them all before finally breaking through the sea of bodies. Suddenly, nothing stood between him and her but a few meters of empty space – which she crossed in regal, confident strides. And then she stepped into his shadowed alcove, her lips still wearing the same haughty smirk that made him weak at the knees, and her eyes holding a tenderness that warmed his heart.

"Captain," she purred.

"Captain," he muttered back.

Silence took hold for a moment while the pair gazed at each other, gentle eyes traveling up and down, searching for any signs of injury. When they found none, (f/n)'s smirk widened just a little. Then she jerked her chin toward a nearby tavern – one they'd become quite familiar with over the past two years.

"Shall we?"

Levi nodded and fell into step at her side, taking the opportunity to discreetly search her for injuries once more. She was good at her job – the best, he knew – but even so, he couldn't help but worry. He had lost far too many people already to feel any different.

When they reached the tavern, Levi let (f/n) enter first, then followed her to their usual table in the back. By now, the owner knew to keep it open whenever (f/n)'s ship pulled into the harbor. As soon as they sat down, a familiar waitress arrived to take their order – just as over-accommodating as ever. (F/n) always tipped well, and every member of the staff was eager to get a piece of her fortune.