Part 56

I lay tirelessly against my couch, Henry breathing hard from my attacks. I wanted to tickle him more, but my weak body prevented me from exerting any more energy.

"Hah, hah, do you yield?" I say breathlessly, breathing hard.

"..Hah, yes. Yes. My lady, I yield." Henry raises his hands in surrender and I pump a victory sign for celebration. Hee Hee, Victory!

"..Hahh. Has anyone ever told you that you're a peculiar lady, my lady?" Henry sits up, helping me sit up as well.

"..Yeah, but who cares?" I toss a piece of hair behind my ear. Mary's going to have a fit at my horrible hair. Henry helps me fix my dress that got completely messed up from our scuffle.

"True. Oh, but I mean in a good way. I've never met such an eccentric person as yourself." Henry nods.

"Hmm, but my father is eccentric!" I declare. Henry chuckles at my response.

"Yes, yes you share the same traits as Duke Thornweather." He helps me fix my hair, placing the curls back into a more normal position.

"Thanks." I say.

"Of course. But we should have Mary still check. Neither of us is as skilled as she is." Henry says.

"She should be coming back. It shouldn't have taken long to get a vase and some water for the flowers. I wonder if something has happened?" I start to become worried. Now that most of the guests are arriving, Mary might have gotten into trouble! I glance over at the window to see that the sun has already started to set. Dinnertime is almost here, yet Mary hasn't appeared!

"..I'm sure she can take care of herself, my lady. Mary is a strong person." Henry tries to reassure me as I feel nervous and concerned.

"I think we should go out and look for her. Vendia's suppose to attack, so there are dangerous people in the castle!" I quickly stand up, ready to leave.

"Let us go then. We can make haste but don't appear too flustered, my lady. We don't want to alarm nor alert anyone." Henry reminds me. I take a deep breath to calm my nerve then nod at Henry to show my understanding. We head out of my room and I quickly scan the hallways for the nearest servant. I spot one rounding a corner, holding laundry. I walk as fast as I can, with as much grace as I can muster to protect my image. Henry follows just a step behind.

"You there! I request your assistance!" I shout, trying to make my voice as stern yet ladylike as possible. The servant pauses his rounds and turns towards me. Noticing my presence, he hurriedly bows.

"I greet thee, Lady Annelise. How may I assist you?" He speaks respectfully.

"I want to know about my maid, Mary. Has she come by this way yet? I sent her on an errand and it has been hours!" I scan the servant, trying to see if I recognized him. His appearance is ordinary, with tannish brown hair and small freckles. He looks to only be around 12 or so years old. Must be a new hire. He jumps nervously at my questioning.

"Ah, I am sorry, my lady! I did not see Miss Mary since my rounds. But I can quickly ask Head Maid for assistance!" He squeaks.

"Go on then! Please let me know as soon as you receive news!" I ordered. He scurries off as fast as his little legs can manage. The innocent sight lightens my heart slightly, but the quietness of the hallway still fills me with fear.

"Do you notice anything?" I turn towards Henry to figure out our next move. He shakes his head.

"Everything seems to be normal, besides the lack of servants. Do you think important guests have arrived that require the presence of a lot of servants?" Henry wonders. Important guests?

"Vendia's royalty should be the most important. After that would be -Shoot! Let's go, Henry! Mary's in trouble!" I reach over to grab Henry's arm and race across the hallway. Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! I forgot my rivals are all here! Those gosh darn other side villains and villainesses!