Part 27

"......"

The room is filled with a deadly silence. I don't know if I should speak up about our engagement status or not right now. Even Prince Caelum and Princess Echina have stopped their flirting.

"Father, I'm not engaged with Bella. I just wanted to ask for your acknowledgment of my declaration to marry Bella. I want to be engaged with her." Prince Orion says, frustrated.

"Are you not already engaged with Lady Annelise? Have you no regard for our ruling? Do you speak to challenge our decision?" King Drayden raises his voice.

"No father, me and Annelise have decided to end our engagement. We were going to inform you and proceed to process the agreement formally. Annelise didn't feel well yesterday so we had to delay it." Prince Orion says.

"Is this true, Lady Annelise? Do you agree to ending your engagement with Prince Orion?" King Drayden looks shocked and asks me.

"Yes, I have no desire to an engagement with a person who has feelings for another," I said firmly.

"Oh.. We thought Lady Annelise and Orion fancied one another. We see that it isn't the case?" The King shoots a death stare at Prince Orion but questions me.

"I did like Prince Orion. I don't know if he liked me in that regard." I answered simply.

"Oh, sorry Annelise. I only saw you as a friend." Prince Orion speaks up. Wow. This guy really doesn't butter his words.

"Speak less!" Queen Solana hits Prince Orion on the head.

"Ow!" He says, rubbing the small bump. Queen Solana turns to me.

"We apologize for his rashness. His time with Grand King Richard was not spent on royal etiquette." She says apologetically.

"It's alright. " I shrugged. "I wanted me and Prince Orion to be open about our thoughts. I thought it would allow our relationship to flow better. I researched that a successful relationship involves communication."

"How thoughtful of you." Queen Solana says.

"Ahem!" King Drayden clears his throat, still giving Prince Orion his death stare.

"Regardless of Prince Orion's and Lady Annelise's engagement status, we do not mingle with one's servant-" He raises his hand to stop Prince Orion from talking.

"-especially not with important and esteemed guests." King Drayden finishes, staring straight down at Prince Orion, who is now realizing the social context of his personal maid eating with not only the king and queen of the kingdom but also with a foreign princess and a duke's daughter.

"... I apologize." Prince Orion says, guiltily. He looks towards Bella, who has gone full white, frozen like a statue.

"Sorry Bella, I wasn't thinking of who we were eating with. I just thought it would be fun to eat together with the people I like." He says, hanging his head down.
"Oh no! I am the one intruding on the meal." Bella says flusteredly.

"I shall take my leave then!" She says, starting to stand up, but stops as King Drayden raises his hand.

"No, you shall stay. It would not be good that a servant finishes before the king. We shall permit your presence here with us." King Drayden says. Bella immediately sits back down.

"....and we shall discuss your engagement status after the meal." King Drayden finishes, looking sharply at Prince Orion.