Part 12

"My lady, what was that?" Mary asks me while we were eating dinner. I paused.

"What was, Mary?" I return the question. She looks at me weirdly.

"Lady Annelise, I don't know if you are conscious of it or not, but you were giving Sir Henry the 'look'."

"W-what look?"

"The look you gave Prince Orion when you first met. The look you give when you see any attractive person. -My lady, I don't understand why you are pushing for this whole complex plan. You seem to not be interested in Prince Orion anymore and your father has found a replacement. Why don't you just end the engagement immediately and set up a new one with Sir Henry? I'm sure your father thinks the same, that is why he choose Sir Henry to be your bodyguard." Mary says while she refills my glass. I don't know what to say. I guess my plan is a little convoluted and unnecessary. The Thornweathers are powerful enough that I could easily end the engagement by threatening the king if he does oppose and Prince Orion has nothing against breaking off our engagement since he likes his maid. The king may not like my decision, but he would be more than happy to agree to it if we threaten him. Though this will definitely cause a strain on the power balance between the dukedoms and the royal kingdom.

"Mary, why are you the one to say this to me?" I sigh. She shrugs.

"My lady, I've been with you for a long time. I think your father enjoys going along with your antics and Sir Henry has no idea of the current situation since he's been occupied in the war. I'm the only beacon of reason in for your shenanigans." Mary takes a bite of her food.

"But I think it's fine to continue with the plan. We have lots of free time. And I enjoy going to the royal castle. They have really good food." She adds on with her mouth full. I nod. Yeah, their chefs are extremely skilled. The head chef makes a banging cheesecake. Melt in your mouth goodness. Delicious!

Wait! That's not important!

It is true that my plan is quite overly complicated, so why do I feel the need to have this long drawn out plan? I mean, sure, I don't feel entirely comfortable threatening the king of the land that I'm currently living on and I still think highly of Prince Orion so I don't want to ruin his reputation as the rejectee, but is this even a good reason to force Henry into a pretend lovers thing and sneak around the castle to find evidence of Prince Orion's affairs? Hmm, I mean, sneaking around the castle is always a fun idea and Henry is very good-looking so I want him to be my personal knight. How fun will it be to have someone that incredible at my beck and call? Isn't this why villainesses become corrupted? The pleasure of unlimited luxuries and being able to see pleasant things all day long. I guess I can omit the lovers thing since it is a little weird.

"Well, my plan may be complicated but I still want to do it! It's been a while since I've met up with Prince Orion so breaking off our engagement is a great way to ensure he meets up. Sneaking around the royal castle is always fun and I am interested in meeting his lover." Yeah, I want to meet the heroine of one of my favorite webnovels! Yeah, I want to experience the story and meet all of the main characters!

So what if it's convoluted, I'm a villainess with modern-day fantasies, I have the power to do anything I want so as long as it's not dangerous to the entire world of course. I don't want to end up being the final boss or something.

"Yeah! Pretend lovers part removed, but Plan Break Out still commences!" I declare.