REDLIGHT

Roxanne.

It wasn't a red light she put on but a match she lit and threw. The fire blazed in Lars' mind.

Lars knew his life was a melting pot of bad decisions, but he hit the jackpot there. He who imagined going back to Sweden proud and rich saw his dream shattered.

"What are you going to do?" Steven asked after having accompanied Roxanne to the door.

"I'll pay her off. All she wants is money, and she probably did some background checks on me with the elements she stole."

"Lars, seriously, she doesn't seem to be playing for money."

"Steven, wake up. She's lying; don't you see she's a con? Did she look pregnant to you?"

Steven took a few seconds to recall Roxannes' appearance before saying, "no, but not all women blow up. It depends on what phase she's on and her overall morphology. If what she says is true, she's in the first trimester. Pregnancies are undetectable at that stage."

Lars cocked a brow, "you seem to know a lot?"

"Documentaries help me fall asleep."

In other circumstances, Lars would have laughed at his friend's habit, but Steven's notions become expertise for Lars at that instant, "so you think she could be telling the truth?"

Steven shook his head, "I don't know."

It was for these occasions that the man took his prescriptions. It took a while, but the awaited panic attack occurred. Steven turned Lars' room inside out and came back without anything.

"Listen, Lars; I'll pop out and see what I can find for you. Just hang in there, buddy."

The man gasped for air though it was abundant. The sickening feeling of wanting to puke while being hot and bothered invaded him. His head spun. Lars crouched down to finally lay on the cold marble floor.

Images of his family came to mind; happy moments followed by sad times, arguments, fights, and words.

"Lars, how could you do this to your brother? It's his company. He trusted you."

"I didn't know. I didn't know it was a scheme, and they would launder the money."

Lars didn't lie; he didn't know. The man was as candid as a child despite his looks and behavior.

"Stay away from Rut."

His brother Ulrich had warned him.

"You'll always live in Jonas' shadow. You're nothing but his page boy. Do you honestly think I could be with someone like you?"

And Ulrich was right. Rut was a hazard.

"You're nothing without Jonas or us."

His oldest brother was harsh. What would Ulrich say if he saw him now?

In the meantime, Roxanne arrived at her next appointment.

"Yay, Foxy Roxy, it's been a while. Have a seat, my dear; how have you been," the man said while twirling on his desk chair.

"I've been busy preparing my retirement plan," Roxanne replied as she sat down.

"What?" Dalai exclaimed, "you retire? Let me laugh."

"What, you didn't think I'd be a con for life, did you?" The woman retorted.

"I know you, Roxanne. Tell me, who's the fool?"

The woman adjusted her position, "It isn't a sham. I'm pregnant, Dalai I can't carry on like this."

"Wow, wow, wow," Dalai slid his head back, "wait a minute, Roxanne. You're not the type to get knocked up?"