MR. REBEL

*Listen to this ultimate bae!* 

The previous night felt like a nightmare when Thulile woke. Perhaps it was, maybe all was a dream.

Did she really witness Elije's engagement announcement like any bystander?

No, his mother didn't offer her money for her services, did she?

For some reason, her mind only registered the last part.

Too painful and humiliating, Thulile preferred to occult what hurt.

Yet what happened after she left remained clear. She sat in Lars' car and cried for an hour. The man didn't say a word or complain. He just sat, waited, and let her do until Thulile announced, "I need alcohol."

Lars said it was a bad idea. Instead, they ended up eating burgers at Park Station's Burger King.

"Aren't you going to ask?"

Lars looked at Thulile's swollen eyes and shook his head, "I'm not suicidal. I used to be curious, but I learned since. I just want to make sure you're okay?"

"Why?"

Lars reflected on the question.

"Why do you care so much?"

"I," Lars looked at his burger and turned to stare at Thulile, who sat with his suit's jacket on her shoulders, "I don't know. Partners take care of one another."

"I told youㅡ."

"I know, you'll think about it. And you're right. I'm a stranger who fell out of nowhere into your life. How can you trust me when those you've known betray you."

It was true Thulile knew Elije, yet he betrayed her. What would it be of a stranger?

Lars took the paper napkin, wiped his mouth, and said, "my first love was our next-door neighbor. She was older than me, she babysat me, and I always told myself I'd marry her. She dated my older brother. Even so, I loved her."

Again Lars spoke of himself without reserve. Thulile listened while she attempted to picture how this woman he wished to marry was.

"Years passed, and I met her again. I thought it was destiny." Lars paused as he thought of Rut and how much he loved her.

Thulile wanted to prompt him to speak but refrained from doing so. Luckily the man carried on, "some people and relationships are toxic. We convince ourselves of their benefits, but they destroy us. And it hurts so bad one just wants to die because of the massive hole it leaves. I wanted to die; I felt like an idiot."

Lars spoke while looking at his tray of food, but there he turned to face Thulile as he got to his point, "these experiences forge us and set us on a road that makes us grow. At least, I hope they do. Otherwise, I don't know what I'm doing. Somewhere along this road, we meet people. Some are passersby, others are there to help, and others are meant to stay."

Again their eyes locked on one another. Thulile's were a furnace while Lars' was a calm sea. He wished he could appease her and put out her fires with his tides.

Everything set them apart, but pain and suffering were universal, and in that, Lars understood her.

"I'll take you home."

"It's okay; you've done enough. I live very far."

"Where is far for you?"

"It's not in the heart of Joburg."

"Where?"

"Lars, listen. The place where I live isn't nice."

"You're not inviting me to sleep over, are you?"