ADMIRER

The music thumped while the car cruised. Too absorbed by driving and by Thulile's condition, Julian let the notifications blow up on his phone screen in front of Nandi's shocked expression as she saw his Tiktok user name.

Nandi kept quiet; her best friend's life was in his hands. Julian was not to be flustered at that instant.

They arrived at the hospital and hurried to the welcome desk. As expected, Thulile wasn't registered in a room and was still in the hospital's ER.

Nandi let Julian do the talking. Things went quickly once the man paid, demonstrating once more how money opened gates.

Thulile got a complete check-up and head scans.

"Nandi, who isㅡ?"

Nandi squeezed her eyes to stop the elderly woman from asking more questions, "ugogo, he's a friend. He'll take charge of this."

The doctors came back to report on Thulile's condition, "she has a moderate head injury. No operation is needed, the swelling will go down naturally, but we will observe her during the night. We'll administrate by drip acetaminophen [Tylenol]; it's a painkiller. She is also dehydrated and suffering from exhaustion. We could have avoided the fever if she got treatment immediately."

"When can she come out?" Nandi asked.

"Tomorrow."

"No, she'll stay the week."

All turned to look at Julian.

"You said she's exhausted; then she'll stay till Sunday," the man repeated.

"Sir, we're not a hotel."

"You have VIP rooms. My gran regularly checks in here. She stays months for migraines and gets scans for chipped nails; I don't see why my friend can't do the same."

Julian exaggerated, but the picture he painted was clear.

"May I ask who you are, sir?"

The doctor's colleague nudged the man who leaned to hear the whisper.

"Ah, ㅡokay, ㅡeh sir, yes, we have rooms. Sorry for my, eh Iㅡ."

Femi and his gran exchanged glances.

The man was sure proper with his suit and all, but it did not indicate his identity.

Tall, clear dark mocha skin, almond-shaped eyes that became half-moons when he smiled Julien made one take second glances. The fragrance of his perfume baptized the hospital halls. Julian was a handsome man who lived outside of their world.

Was he one of the men Thulile people rumored to entertain?

As if Julian heard their queries, he introduced himself as soon as he finished with the doctors.

"Hello, I'm Julian Nkosi, one of Thulile's former school friends."

The man lied, but he thought it was more appropriate to explain things that way.

"Oh, I'm Thulie's grandmother, and this is Femi, her brother."

"Nice to meet you. I hope my presence doesn't bother you. "

"No, thank you for helping Thulile this way," Thulile's gran said, grasping the man's hand.

Julian patted hers, "if there's anything else I can do, please don't hesitate, here's my number," he handed his name card to Thulile's gran and Femi.

A nurse arrived at that instant, "sir, she's in her room. You can visit her now."

Femi began to push the old lady. Nandi and Julian followed behind as the nurse led the way.