THULIWOOD

Thulile explained all the events to her gran, from her encounter with Lars to Elije's engagement. Her grandmother listened and empathized with her granddaughter's trampled feelings. The young woman held in so much, her gran was almost ashamed to interrogate her.

Now, another issue intrigued the elder. Thulile spoke of a tall European customer. The woman had the vague memory of one queuing for coffee. If she had not been behind him, the man would have left the line.

Could the jacket belong to him?

Her grandmother almost felt responsible for their encounter. Then again, perhaps it was a twist of fate. Nevertheless, the man slipped into the same sequence of episodes as Thulile.

The woman let Thulile go, refusing to inflict more guilt on the woman who held their foyer single handly.

Monday fell like a raindrop, never had ever Lars or Thulile who woke up respectively at the same hour longed for the day to start as on that particular Monday.

For Thulile, it represented a new start, and for Lars, it was a new beginning with her, as a business partner, of course.

"Why are you always hiding?"

Why?

The woman always felt her presence was illegitimate. Even when she shone while dancing, Thulile shied away from the attention. She didn't consider herself an introvert, but she wasn't an extrovert like Nandi, nor was she an in-between.

Thulile defined herself as a let-me-live-in -peace type of person. All she ever desired was to have enough funds to live a quiet and pleasant life.

Lars offered her hope. In his presence, she felt capable of living in the limelight. Again images of his house surfaced. The place blessed by the sun's rays marked the woman. She only spent a few hours, but she was so at ease on its premises and appeased when with him.

"Howzit, Palesa."

The woman barely acknowledged her.

"Palesa, I'm sorry."

Though Thulile called to explain her departure from the party, Palesa remained vexed. The woman worked alone in an environment she found hostile until the coffee ran out. Senara didn't hold her back when she asked to leave, and Morris paid her due. Despite this, Palesa didn't appreciate Thulile's behavior which she found childish.

Palesa began to unpack the snacks she had already made in silence.

"Please forgive me, Palesa," Thulile pleaded while placing her hands on the older woman's. "I accepted Lars' offer. We might work elsewhere soon, in a place with toilets."

Palesa tried to hold it in, but a smile sketched itself without consent, "you better keep your word," she huffed.

Thulile nudged her, "ahh, Palesa, trust me. There are going to be a lot of changes around here."

Palesa looked at Thulile, changes already operated. The young woman wasn't the same sinceㅡ.

"Good morning, ladies."

"Lars, what are you doing here? It's way too early."

"The early bird catches the worm."

Thulile let her eyes slide to one side. How old was this man? His expressions were prehistoric.

"Alright, I couldn't sleep, happy?"

Palesa observed how the corner smile appeared on Thulile's lips and how Lars' eyes shimmered in the morning rays.

They weren't there yet, but they were well on their way to the cascade of emotions for the older woman.

Between the man who knew love but refused it and the woman who believed she was a veteran but a novice, the scenario promised to be at the height of the Nollywood series Palesa affectioned.