ROXANNE

She isn't mad, Lars thought.

The man had to hype himself to follow through with his plan, which consisted of reminding Thulile it was just business and nothing more. The woman needed to understand it. Otherwise, the man didn't know what to do.

Lars could only proceed if feelings weren't involved. Finding love was neither a primary nor a secondary goal. The man had a thing for problematic women. He was still bitter about the last time he let a woman steal his heart.

Even though Lars cringed within at Thulile's reaction, he still looked forward to seeing her. The week without Thulile seemed the longest of his stay in South Africa. Lars refused to admit the place she took up in his thoughts. She who wasn't his type had become essential.

Lars sighed, "no, forget, man."

He estimated he did Thulille a favor as it was a little pain she felt compared to what he knew himself capable of doing.

Steven deplored Lars' reasoning thinking it was foolish to see doom in something that hadn't occurred.

"Stop playing your own God," Steven warned, only to get a "God has probably forsaken by now, considering my luck."

Now, Lars prepared himself; the man took his time. One would think it was a date if they saw Lars' motions. Shaved and perfumed, Lars desired to mark the woman's thoughts. The idea of making Thulile's mouth water at the sight of him was selfish, if not to say childish, but it didn't stop the man.

If Lars sought to look his best, Thulile hesitated between meeting the man looking shabby or making Lars regret what he did.

She finally opted for an oversized tee and joggers, guessing he would solely have the project in mind. Thulile fell back on her bed only to sit up and ponder. No, meeting him dressed this way would only comfort his choice.

At that instant, Nandi's voice came through like a tempting whisper, "sista, kill him with your beauty."

Kill him, Thulile thought. The woman had no idea the man would actually live a near-death experience thanks to a surprise visit.

It was Steven who went to open. The man frowned at the person standing on their doorstep.

"Hello, is Mr.Potsmann here?"

"Who is asking?" Steven asked.

"Can you just tell me if he's here? My name is irrelevant. He doesn't know it anyway."

The woman's words made Steven more perplexed. He had seen her somewhere, yet he couldn't place her face.

"Eh, he's not inㅡ."

Steven didn't have time to finish. The woman walked past him, "I'll wait inside."

There it was, the woman's arrogant stance slapped the man's memories into place.

"Please wait here," Steven said as he showed her the living room before leaving to fetch Lars.

"Lars," Steven said as he knocked on his bedroom door.

There was no answer.

"Lars."

"Just give me a sec," the man replied as he sought his car keys.

"There's someone here for you."

Lars stopped searching. Could it be Thulile? No, she knew he would pick her up.

"Who is it?" Lars asked.

"It's a woman. She looks a bit like that baroness you accused not so long ago."