MR.HERO, MAYBE?

The after-party was short for Nandi and the girls who left abruptly. Nandi hurried to the exit with Julian tailing her.

He grasped her arm, "Nandi, tell me what's happening. Why are you girls leaving like this?"

For the first time, Julian saw the woman cry. A chilling sensation swept over the man. Nandi was fearless, but she had one sweet and soft spot all knew.

"Nandi, is it Thulile?"

"Julian, sheㅡ."

The woman was breathless.

Julian didn't even take leave from Dalai and his crew. He followed the women out. Thulile's condition was such that the paramedics took her to the only hospital with adequate equipment. She already had a file there, Julian made a few phone calls.

The friends arrived and found Femi rolled up in a ball crying while Thulile's gran heaved oddly in her chair.

"Gogo, what's the matter?" Nandi asked as she crouched down in front of the woman's wheelchair.

Something was wrong with the old lady. Julian went to the desk, "what's going on here? Can't you see that woman isn't well?"

The nurse gave him an apologetic stare, " sorry, sir, they told only to take care of the girl."

"So you're going to let her grandmother die in the hall," Julian's glare made the nurse panic. She nurse grabbed the phone and dialed.

"Femi," Nandi rushed to the boy's side where Mabel and Sus already gathered, "tell me what happened?"

"She's going to die Nandi. I'm scared."

"No, no, we won't let it happen, Femi. Thulile won't die. She can't," the woman grasped her hair and took off her wig, "eish, this nonsense is making hot."

At that moment, nothing mattered for Nandi. Followers, money, men, everything was vanity. All she wanted was her friend. She took off her heels and went to find Julian.

"Julian, lend me money."

"What for Nandi. What do you want to do?"

"If my friend dies today. "Ha," the woman clapped her hands together and looked to the ceiling, "if Thulie dies today, Kungawo better run. I will kill him."

Julian shook his head, refusing the woman's words. Johannesburg was a dangerous city when one knew its back alleys. Like many places on earth, money could be one's salvation or damnation. The man didn't doubt. Nandi was more than capable of committing the deed, "Nandi, let's call the police."

"The Police," Sus interjected and walked up to him, "you are one hell of a dumb rich man. Do you think they will bother themselves for a girl from the township? You are so delusional."

"Girls, there are laws. I'm a lawyer."

Sus, lips drooped low as she threw, "the police works for people like you. Those with the dollars and rands. They don't care about us. Do you think they care about the beaten or raped? They don't give a damn."

Sus knew how things went down. How many of her friends experienced what some called corrective rape, supposed to send sexuality back on the right track. She saw how the files were dropped, dismissed, or closed; especially when the incidents concerned people from poor areas. Sus had no doubts concerning Thulile's case of domestic violence.

It wasn't as if Thulile never tried to get away, even if she never dared file a complaint against her brother. The sound of steps coming in their direction interrupted Sus to Julian's relief.

"I'm doctor Fraser. May I know who her guardian is?"

"Eh, we admitted her gran as well so," Julian began only to be halted.