SCHEMES

Lars started his car; an awkward silence sat between them.

This wasn't how their partnership was supposed to be. Lars tried to throw the tension out before it was too late.

"Eh, Thulile, I meant what I said earlier. I think we can help each other. You're talented, and I'm talentless when it comes to creativity, but I have other resources. I helped my brother with his business, and trust me when I say I'll help you with yours," Lars took a glance at her and smiled, "who knows, we could become friends."

The man spoke, but Thulile's thoughts were elsewhere. Why did she feel so offended by what he said?

Thulile had the time of the ride to cool down. Lars dropped her off as promised. He unloaded his trunk and bought the bags to her truck.

"Eh," they said in unison in front of Palesa, who observed them from the truck's window trap.

"Ladies first."

Thulile wished to punch him. She hated the ambiguity he mustered with his gentleman stance but also the unwarranted reactions she had, "no, you go on."

"Listen, you have my number. I won't ask yours because you won't give it to me. Anyway, call me when you feel ready to start."

"Why are you so sure I'll work with you?"

"Because your coffee told me so," Lars replied.

"You don't believe in God, but you believe in a word written on a carton cup by a stranger."

Lars grinned, "you're not a stranger anymore. You're Thulile, see you tomorrow."

The man left, the day pursued its course, and still, Thulile could not swallow the lump of embarrassment stuck in her throat; neither could Nandi let go of the episode while she chuckled her life away later that night.

"Eisssshhhhh, oh my gawd, sistaaaa,"

"Na-Na, stop it."

"Chi-Du, this is better than Nollywood, C-drama, or a Mexican telenovela. Oh, my ribs. I can not."

"It's not funny, Nandi. I made a fool of myself. Can you imagine what he's thinking of me right now?"

"He's thinking nothing. When a man isn't interested, he isn't. He has probably forgotten and thinking about what he'll have for dinner. Are you going to accept his offer?"

"I don't know. Lars says if I agree, he'll draw up a contract."

"Lars, even the name sounds sexy. It has that cutting edge. Accept his offer; you can ask Julian to look over the contract."

"Nandi, no, the man has done more than enough."

"And he will do more, trust me."

"I've already made a fool of myself once with all of your supposed hunches."

" Hey, it wasn't me but Palesa concerning your partner."

"Don't call him that. He has a name."

"What is wrong with the word partner?" Nandi asked.

"Nevermind."

"Yeah, I won't mind," Nandi said while tilting her head from side to side with a wide-tooth comb in her hand, "anyway, Chi-Du, my baby, listen to aunty Nandi. You must date a lot before finding the right person. You only know Elilje, and trust me, there is far better out there. Test Julian."

"Are you out of your mind? He's Elije's best friend."

Nandi shrugged, "so."

"Na-na."