HAPPINESS

Lars laughed as Femi splashed water on his gran for the fourth time and got cursed out.

"I swear you need a good spanking," the older woman said while her face displayed a tight lip grin.

Lars looked up at Thulile's bedroom window and wondered when they would finish. Nandi was with her. She came in the morning to help Thulile take down her braids as she couldn't do it herself because of her broken ribs.

The man waited patiently, but Lars couldn't hold back his curiosity at noon. He crept upstairs like a thief and tiptoed in the corridor to the bedroom's door.

Luckily, the door was slightly open. Between the door's crack, Lars saw Thulile seated on a chair while Nandi used what reassembled a needle to unbraid.

The material used for the braids fell on the fabric Thulile had laid to receive the dropping braids.

The women giggled and spoke in Zulu. Lars picked up his name a couple of times. He didn't understand what was said, but Thulile's vivid reaction made the man wish he understood.

"So, how is it to live here?"

"It's nice, Nandi. I feel as though I'm dreaming. I need about thirty seconds every day to realize where I am. The bed is so comfortable. He has everything. Lars has such lovely pots," Thulile said with eyes twinkling with delight.

Nandi laughed, "you're with Lars, and all you're thinking of is his pots?"

"I'm not with Lars."

"You know what I mean. Don't tell me there's not a littleㅡ," Nandi said while she jiggled her friend's shoulders.

"There's no little, whatever. This situation is temporary. I work with Lars. Nothing else can happen."

Nandi mimicked Thulile behind her back as she undid the braids behind, "admit it, Thulile, he's a handsome man."

Thulile couldn't lie; Lars was a pretty boy. When he spoke to her, Thulile wished she was another woman. Despite this, another man haunted her thoughts. Though he betrayed her trust, Thulile still thought of Elije. She couldn't wipe out the years all at once. Not everything was terrible. There were good times, and when she thought of those moments, the woman found herself missing him.

Again, all she needed to do was look at Lars to ghost Elije. It was odd; Lars seemed so close, yet even more unattainable. All she was in the man's eyes was a casualty.

"Nandi, nothing will happen between this man and me."

"Ahh, don't speak such nonsense. Everyone can see there's something between you."

Thulile turned her head to the side, "Nanda, what are you talking about, like him-meh, me? she clapped in her hands, "you people are crazy. I told you, Iㅡ," Thulile stopped as she saw a shadow at the door. Her eyes became slits while her cheeks rose in embarrassment. Thank goodness the whole conversation was in Zulu.

Busted, thought Lars, who knocked and entered. The man had no other choice. Caught red-handed, Lars couldn't run down the hall like a kid even though the thought tempted him," ㅡeh, I was wondering if you were hungry."

"I'm good," Thulile replied with an icy pitch while giving Lars her you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself glare.

"I'm not good, Thulile I'm hungry," Nandi replied.

Lars lowered his gaze and turned it away from Thulile to question Nandi, "what do you want to eat?"

Nandi smiled; Thulile could say what she wanted. There was reciprocity of feelings between the man and her.