BROKEN PROMISE

* THIS SONG!*

"Eh-eh, Thulile, what is this? What do you mean by you can't?"

"Palesa, the people who live in this house," she paused, "I can't see them."

Thulile went and grabbed her belongings, but Sibil blocked her path," miss, calm down. What is the problem?"

"I said I can't work here tonight. Get out of my way."

"Listen, miss, let me call Morris. He hired you; you should at least tell him you are leaving."

"No, I want to go, now."

Never had Palesa seen Thulile as agitated as she was then.

At that instant, there was a knock on the door, and Morris entered, "good, you're here. I was worried."

"I'm sorry, but I can't make coffee tonight."

Morris looked at Sibil, who shrugged.

"Excuse me. I don't understand. I thought we had an agreement."

"We did, but I can't. I'm sorry." Thulile attempted to push her way through only to see Morris block the door.

"No, I'm sorry. If you don't make coffee tonight, I will lose my job. Why don't you want to do this the pay is good? Ms. Senara is already expecting your service."

"Does she already know?"

"Of course. Who do you think I called earlier? She agreed for you to bring your assistant."

Elije's mother expected her. Thulile could not back away. The impression his family would have of her would be worse if she didn't respect her engagement. It was just a party, with a bit of luck no one would notice her. It wasn't as though she would walk about doing the service.

"Miss, I beg you. Please do this," Morris said, pressing his hands together in a plea.

"Thulile," Palesa said and patted her hand on her back. She, too, counted on her, and Thulile could not let them down.

"Alright."

In the meantime, Lars and Dalai arrived. Dalai chose a dark marron Dior suit which glistened like satin, while lars opted for a midnight blue Armani suit with Paled Turquoise shirt. The man knew how to highlight his assets as colors put an accent on his eyes. Watch, ring, and polished shoes finished off the men's silhouette.

Their entrance, though, in the open space of the garden and pool left no one indifferent.

Lars quickly found out he wasn't the only foreigner. The guests were from all horizons. Some were from neighboring African countries, others from Europe or South America. The actual portion of South Africans was low, but one needn't more as the handful was Joburg's finest, according to Dalai. Education, politics, commerce, culture, and many more, one only had to pick his partner and topic.

"Smile, and relax, Lars."

Dalai could see his friend was not at ease. He was the prankster of the Pottsmann family and lived in a protected environment where all watched over him. There he was, alone to fend for his. The money he lost at the casino left a hole, financially he held, but he could not allow himself another slip-up. Investing was a poker game one had to choose wisely and almost predict the future.

Dalai had the flare; the man knew exactly what he needed to buy, where, when, and at what price. Lars was a novice who walked behind Dalai at that instant.

"Mr. and Mrs. Nzambe, how good to see you."

"Dalai, how good to see you too."

"I hope the goods arrived well and that all was in order."