Chapter 26 - Is There Still Anything Love Can Do?

May 2025 (Two days before ASF 2025)

The Ritz-Carlton Millennia Singapore

11pm

Khampa told Bodi to come to his hotel suite immediately after the party and the moment the young mastiff closed the suite door, his father poured two cups of tea, one for each of them. Bodi suspected it had to do with unleashing his "Fire".

"Bodi," Khampa was at a loss for words. "What just happened?"

For the first time in quite a while, he felt sentiment for Darma, so he explained his feelings towards her. "I said I wasn't ready, Dad, but... why did my 'Fire' do that to her? What does it mean?"

Bodi sensed some uneasiness from his father, fearing for the worst. Then, his father started explaining. "I've never explained about your 'Fire', but there's something you need to know about it. Being the wielder of that gift is an act of responsibility for the family, to protect the village from future harm. However, it also includes passing down this 'Fire' to future generations. When you were very young, you never understood much about how you could leverage its use because you were so hell-bent on your music."

Khampa patted Bodi on his shoulder. "Now that I'm getting too old, I feel it's time that you are ready to protect this village. In fact, you already completed your first act."

"Dad," Bodi started to understand his father's words. "You mean..."

"Yes, Bodi. You've found your soulmate, just like how I found your mother."

Darma, as in, his girlfriend? His soulmate? "But I'm not ready, Dad!"

"I know, Bodi. But you already are, Bodi."

Bodi noticed Khampa's calmness as he continued drinking his tea. "I've talked to her father. He said he will arrange for the marriage. You just need to propose to her, ok? No matter what happens, you'll always be my son and my pride of the village. Now, it's time you give it back."

Bodi found his "Fire" encircling his right paw, a flame of desire. The mastiff now realised what he had to do.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

The Next Day

NS Square

11.30pm

While the rest of Rock Dog prepared to go to sleep after a successful jury show in the evening, Bodi and Darma agreed to walk across the street to the circular NS Square. What used to be the temporary The Float @ Marina Bay has turned into a majestic NS Square complex to thank the men and women who served the nation during National Service. They were the only ones on the spectator stands of the Square, facing the Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore River together.

Bodi was unsure of how to proceed with the proposal, seeing that it would be his very first time doing so. Instead, he wanted to talk to Darma.