Chapter 19 - I Was King

The Start of February 2025

Rock Dog Mansion

2pm

"... When I was king!" Bodi and his Rock Dog band finished their recording of one of the three songs they crafted for the Asia Song Festival 2025. Of course, a satisfied Bodi started exchanging high-fives with his bandmates in a return to normal. He had taken his father's remedial training to heart.

As Bodi's energy put a smile on everyone's faces, the mastiff was beginning to feel optimistic. "We still got three-and-a-half weeks before the submission deadline, but I can tell you, at this rate, we will get there, everyone! Let's work hard for Asia Song Festival!"

As everyone was about to huddle up, Bodi heard his mobile phone ringing. "Bodi from Rock Dog," the rest of his band watched Bodi talking. It was only moments later that his excitement grew upon hearing some great news.

"It's Serena," Bodi referenced the previous MMGP winner. "She's inviting us to a Swifty tribute concert!" And then it hit him: this was the perfect platform for Rock Dog's comeback, and there was no way in hell Bodi and Rock Dog will throw it away. "So let's get back to performing!"

As everyone cheered for this awesome news, it was getting worse for a former member...

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Mengcheng General Hospital

5pm

After last-minute rehearsals, Rock Dog visited Angus at the hospital to share the great news, but the moment they entered Angus's hospital suite, Dr Kim was attending to the old cat's aid as the band found themselves in the middle of a small treatment. "Just a bit of pain from Angus," the bear turned to the band. "We just diagnosed him with stage 4 liver cancer."

"He what?"

"I'm sorry, Bodi and Rock Dog. At this rate, the chances of a potential liver transplant these days are slim. Anyway, I'll leave you alone for now."

As Dr Kim exited the suite, Bodi found Angus, slightly annoyed by the band's presence, and before long, the old cat burst out laughing, confusing the band. "Ah! There you are. I was wondering when you all show up! How's the ASF preparation?"

"Smoothly, thankfully. How about you?"

"Well, at least I'm still alive and kicking, everyone."

10 minutes later, as Dr Kim attend to other patients, he overheard Bodi, the other Rock Dog members and Angus all laughing and enjoying the company from just outside Angus's suite. Considering he saw Bodi at his lowest the last time they met, Dr. Kim heaved a sigh of relief.

Back inside, the joy turned to reality as Bodi noticed more coughing from Angus. "You need to rest, Angus. You need all the energy to fight off that cancer."

"I know, Bodi, but... I feel like I'm too old for that. Come here, Bodi."

Bodi leaned towards Angus's head and the cat whispered, "Look, I know you all are missing me, but my advice is that you six focused on your music. I may not be around, but for goodness' sake, please pretend I'm with you spiritually. You promise, Bodi?"