Chapter 9 - Barrio

October 2024

The Swifts' Old Home, Beidongshan Coast

10am

Around the same time, Rock Dog was still deciding on a suitable song to submit for the Mengcheng Melody Grand Prix, Swifty was at home writing a song for the same reason.

Except he was not in his mansion. You might have seen the beginning of this chapter as the big giveaway.

Actually, Swifty was inside his old home in his hometown of chilly Beidongshan, specifically at his mum's old home office on the attic level. The white fox had his notebook where he drafted his songs over a warm mug of drip coffee (black and with sugar in contrast to his white fur) and a porthole-style window to the crashing waves of the Beidongshan coast.

He, together with Jade, Auntie Penny (his Mum), his son Jeremy and the rest of SwiftyTV decided on travelling back to the origins of SwiftyTV, that is Beidongshan. Not much has changed since he moved to Mengcheng, except there was a brand-new light rail system courtesy of mayor Aaron Wilson (the father to his childhood friend and footballer Duke) and road improvements, which definitely was a nice breath of fresh air.

While Lemmy, Leopold and Bertha stayed at the Beidongshan Istana, thanks to the mayor, the rest stayed at the family home. It is now day 4 and Swifty still had yet to come up with a song.

Swifty closed his notebook, filled with cancelled lines and torn pages, and took a few deep breaths. He had been locking himself up since last night and, for once, he needed to reset. Swifty unlocked the attic door and, to his surprise, Jade was waiting for him outside.

Swifty's eyes blackened, and he was clearly lethargic from all the song writing. "Come Swifty," Jade held her husband's paw. "Let's get some breakfast."

Swifty and Jade ate their late breakfast in silence over buttered toast and coffee, their preferred way of a quick breakfast. PB drove to the old orphanage to visit his old caretakers. Auntie Penny and Jeremy were at the nearby seafood market to buy fresh seafood for lunch.

As for the couple, they were at home, enjoying their time alone. "I missed this place," Swifty sighed. He felt young again, living inside the house he grew up in. Still, he had spent most of his time inside the house and writing potential entries for MMGP without much progress. It seems heading out for a walk was what they had in their minds now.

And so, with their set of autumn clothes on, the two foxes head out of the house and embraced the ever-crashing waves at the Beidongshan coast. After all, walking along the coast used to be a common ritual of his during his childhood. They leaned themselves forward and experienced small splashes of seawater drizzling onto their faces, enjoying the coastal walk alone.

"Swifty," Jade looked ahead towards the horizon and nearby Hong Kong, "Why are you so anxious? It's your third time in MMGP, you know."

"I know, Jade. I shouldn't be this nervous. After all, I made it to the super-final and finished in the top 3 both times. This shouldn't be tough, but..." Swifty sighed for a moment. "The idea of competing against Rock Dog..."