Chapter 24 - Iridescent

The Next Tuesday

Singapore Sports Hub

12pm

Rock Dog's journey to the Asia Song Festival 2025 crown began on the next Tuesday, one week before the actual one-night competition, when the whole delegation arrived at outside of the Singapore Indoor Stadium, which was part of the Singapore Sports Hub.

Just as soon as they arrive, inside the band's minibus, Bodi received a call. To his surprise, it was the late Swifty's mum, Auntie Penny. He wondered why she called in at this time.

Bodi took up the call. "Hello, Mrs Swift?"

"Bodi? I saw the video performances of you last night."

Ah, the impromptu singing of a never released Swifty song. "I never thought of hearing it in its final version. Of all the songs you have to pick from that book inside the box, it had to be that one."

Bodi heard a long, audible pause from Auntie Penny before she continued, "That song was for me, not for him. He wrote the song in tribute to him. He told me he wanted to sing it at my funeral, but now... He left earlier than expected, so to hear your take on it... It made me realise how much I missed my two sons."

Bodi felt the sharp pain through Auntie Penny's heart. "By the way, someone uploaded your full performance, and it had gone viral, do you know that?"

"Yes, Mrs Swift. I know."

Bodi sensed Auntie Penny's optimism. "I want you and your band to win the ASF. For my son."

The bus entered Kallang, reaching its destination. Bodi knew what he had to say next.

"Mrs Swift, I can't guarantee, but we will win, for your son."

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

(Song: "Tone Deaf" by Eminem)

After checking in, the band arrived at the press area of the ASF venue where the media outlets will station themselves at. The contestants have their own separate zone, where they have a temporary room for themselves and the rest of their delegation. Rock Dog's room is one of the rooms closest to the press conference area where contestants will be interviewed by reporters, either from the participating broadcasters or ASF fan websites.

Their first rehearsal will not happen until two hours later, so everyone warmed upped and walked through the staging for the live performance. There will be two rehearsals, the first one being a 40-minute session and the second being shortened to 20 minutes. They will also have to take part in four dress rehearsals, the third of which is the jury show where the 50% of the total results will be determined. Each of the 25 participating nations will have a five-member jury who determine the 50%. The other half will be determined by the live show where the voters will decide who wins the competition.