Chapter 18

Annie's POV

I can't do this anymore. I thought that being with Finnick everything would work out but it's just the opposite. Now it's not only Delly who harasses me, it's also all the girls who love Finnick. The only advantage there was is that my relationship with Jason has improved a lot. But I can't take it anymore. I get up from my bed and go to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror and what I see disgusts me. My eyes are red and swollen because I cried so much and my cheek is black with the blow I inflicted to myself.

I descend slowly into the kitchen, avoiding Jason overhearing me and picking up a knife. I go back to my room and sit on my desk. If I want to end it, I need to do it well. I take some sheets and start to write. These are letters, one for each person I care about. So there is one for Jason, one for Katniss, one for Johanna, one for the rest of the gang and of course one for Finnick. I put them each in envelopes and write down the name of the person whom it is intended. I get up and take a deep breath before committing the irreparable. I cut the scar on my vein and the blood flows. I feel myself losing my strength, I fall to the ground and the last thing I remember is holding Finnick's pendant before I pass out.

Jason's POV

I heard the sound of an object falling in Annie's room and decide to see what happens. I walk in and see a puddle of blood surrounding Annie's body. I panic and try to figure out what's going on. A knife, her scar open, her pale skin. Oh no ! She made a suicide attempt. I quickly go to my room and pick up my phone before calling the 911.

"911 I'm listening, what's your emergency ?"

"My sister attempted suicide. Hurry, she lost a lot of blood."

"We're sending reinforcements, what's your address ?"

"It's the **********. What can I do to prevent her from losing more blood ?"

"Find a scarf and tighten it around the wound. This will decrease the loss of blood."

"Thank you"

I hang up and go look in her closet for a scarf. I take it and wrap it around her wrist. I hadn't noticed it, but I was crying the whole time. I take her in my arms and rock her gently, like I did when she was little. Oh, I blame myself so much for abandoning her her and not taking care of her for all these years. She just needed a brother and I rejected her like a jerk. I turn my head and see envelopes on her desk. I see five, each with someone's first name. I see one with Katniss's name, another for Johanna, one with the names of her others friends and finally one for Finnick. I take them and put them in my back pocket before refocusing on Annie.

About a quarter of an hour later, I hear the sound of the siren and carry Annie outside. As soon as I go out, doctors take charge of her and ask me what happened.

"I heard an object fall so I went to her room to see what it was and when I got there, I saw her lying on the floor with a puddle of blood around her and a knife not very far"

"Are you family ?" asks a caregiver in the back of the ambulance. I nod my head.

"She's my little sister"

"Where are your parents ?"

"How could I know, they didn't take care of us for years"

"Alright, ride with us"

I sit down and take Annie's hand in mine. I hope she will be alright.