88

||JACKSON||

Work, study, eat, sleep.

That's all I've been doing these days. Whenever I stayed in bed, I think of him. Yet even in my secluded dreams, he would appear as we repeated the same activities over and over: karaoke, having dinner and snacks together, even got reeled back to Noah's party when we played truth or dare! Then I would wake up gasping for air, wishing it was real. Craving that I could just see him one more time. It would feel like I was brought from my slumber into the nightmare of a reality that I hated.

Although Damian did his best to ease me, I only found myself driving around the city in my car to the places that triggered my memories of him.

-

Stopping by at the familiar karaoke bar we went to, I got out and shut my door. The parking doesn't seem to be packed rather than just a couple of cars idled away separately. When I got in, there was faint but soft music that played from around one of the rooms. In all honesty, I'm not sure if I even wanna sing because there's no audience to be serenading to anyways, yet I wandered across the lobby and gazed at the front counter tended by a teenage staff paying not much attention.

The room was decorated almost similar to how a movie house would look: somewhat dim with red velvety walls, but a few free couches and armchairs laid around the lounge. There were a bunch of other appliances such as vending machines pinned to the side. While I was minding my own business, A sweet voice alarmed out of nowhere.

"Jackson?"

I turned around and met face to face with a girl, equally as surprised. "Oh, Kyomi..." I murmured.

"What a coincidence, are you here to sing?" She asked.

Nervously chuckling, my hand reached to the back of my neck and rubbed it, "heh, umm, well..."

"Wanna join? I'm only by myself in the room I'm in. We can chat and stuff," she suggested. With the idea proposed, I guess it would be better than just doing nothing, or worse; independently staying in a private room shredding boring vocals with just me. "Sure," I replied with a shrugged.

Nodding she first walks up to one of the vending machines to purchase a bottle of water before proceeding to the young employee. Kyomi didn't bother asking if I should pay my part, instead she whipped out her own cash and applied me anyways. With a motion of her hand, I followed along to one of the hallways and entered. Observing, it's pretty much identical to the one Ethan and I borrowed way back. At the screen of the monitor displayed what appears to be Korean characters which must have been pre-set. Obviously unable to read it, Kyomi notices and refers to it as, "Way Back Home."

"What's it about?" I said.

"Well, it can be interpreted, but the singer wrote it depicting a strong and long-lasting loving relationship..." her eyes seemed rather fair.

I slightly paused before she sat down. Patting her spot to the side, I took my place down next to her as she turned to me, "want to go first?" Proffered.

Shaking my hands shyly and dismissively, "n-nah, you can go."

Kyomi lets out a small giggle before returning to the tv, "alright then," with the mic close to her mouth, she gives off a little note before commencing, "Ethan and I used to sing this together all the time a few of years ago... it just feels nostalgic."

Just as her voice reverbed from the speakers, I instantly knew how much of a great and talented singer she is. Beyond amazed, her soothing melody was smooth like Ethan's, almost similar. Perhaps their singing styles inspired each other. Kyomi spoke the language very nicely, though I may not understand and translate the meaning, I sounded so resonating and beautiful.

-

I played a few songs too since I would most certainly feel bad if I didn't. Though I must bring up that I personally think that I improved. It's been about half an hour, we've also talked a couple of things within the passing time. While I was turning pages on the music book, the girl shot an inquiry, "hey Jackson, can I ask you something?"

Peering at her, I responded, "oh, yeah okay, go ahead."

She fell quiet at first and took a low breath, "what... exactly do you have with him?"

My hands stayed steady for a moment. Staring at her, she had a mild frown waiting for my answer, "h-huh?" That was what I said.

Fidgeting, her head hung low as she restates, "what's your relationship with Ethan?"

Hesitant, I didn't know what I could say to that. All I did, was keep my lips sealed. But she wanted an answer, she wanted to know. Swallowing a lump and thinking of a reply, what am I supposed to say? We're more than friends, we kissed, but I haven't exactly asked him out to be my boyfriend...

"Umm..."

"You like each other, don't you?"

Brows raised, shocked that she pulled the trigger. Maybe my facial expression gave it away as her mood shifted. I couldn't provide a clear reaction to her question, but she managed to puzzle it like it was nothing, "I could tell from the very beginning..."

"W-what?" Stuttering.

"When we first met at his apartment, while I was sat listening to the two of you interact, I could easily read the setting...

... I noticed how much happier he is when he's with you. How both of you are so close in real life and portrayed in social media."

"Oh..."

Her face scrunched sadly as she sniffed. After a few seconds, she shook it off and laughed, "I'm happy for both of you." The atmosphere wasn't heavy, nor awkward; it was more of perplexing. She glanced back at her folded hands rested on top of her lap.

"Why, are you telling me this now?" Confused.

She didn't talk back for the first few seconds. Caught up in her mind, Kyomi professed, "because, I needed closure. I wanted to realize if I deserve to like him. But now, I acknowledge that he's a lot more cheerful to be with you instead..."

"When he wakes up, I want you to tell Ethan how much you love him."