forty four

FORTY FOUR

THE RUINS OF WAR

THE RUINS OF WAR

The street was empty. The shops were boarded shut, paper posters about handing in rebels to the authorities swirled along the cobblestones in the wind. It was silent apart from the crunch of boots along the floor. Talia, Jim, Henry, Jamie and Alana stood in the town square of District 4. The first thing Talia noticed is that Jamie's family bakery is burned to the ground. The propo team exit the hovercraft and wait patiently for Talia to decide the plan of action. It was completely up to her about how much detail she went into about her District, about her home.

She approached the bakery, Jamie flanking her. She wondered silently, as did he, if his family had burned in the ruin. "I'm sorry," She says quietly, glancing to her side at him.

He nods in response before turning away. There was no time to check if they were alive or not. Talia leads the way to the harbour, the scent of the sea relaxing her tensed body. The harbour was filled with boats, no fishermen were out at sea. That shook Talia to the bone.

"Here," She says, looking out towards the water, "We'll start here,"

"Perfect," Cressida says, telling her team where to set up. When they're ready, she gestures for Talia to start.

Talia turns her back to the water and looks at the camera, "My father is a fisherman, or at least he was when he met my mother. My mother used to be part of a wealthy family here in 4. Her father made his fortune off of making and selling fishing boats, some of which are still seen in the harbour. But my mother fell in love with a lowly fisherman and her family abandoned her. She had my older brother Mickey when my mother was 16, and then me and finally, Freddy. My father fished in the seas behind me, he and my mother made sure myself and my brothers ate first no matter what. Most nights they'd go without to keep us alive,"

She nods then, indicating she's done with that part, "We should go to my family home,"

"To the Victor's Village," Jamie gestures and Talia shakes her head.

"My real home," She breathes, guiding them all through the dirt covered alleys until the reached the small, rickety wooden home. She opened the door and lead them inside. It was dust covered and mostly bare, the wallpaper peeling off the walls and the wooden beams even creakier than they used to be.

"I was raised in this house...Born in this house even. Myself and my brothers shared one bedroom, Mickey had his own bed and me and Freddy shared. My family almost starved to death in this house numerous times. But we always pulled through. The Riverthorn's always survived," Talia says, she walks towards and picks up a toy doll that had been left on the kitchen counter. It was hers, from her childhood, something her late Aunt Denise had bought her when she was born. She didn't really know her Aunt, and she'd never even met her- but something about the doll made her sad.