fifty six

FIFTY SIX

THE REAL ENEMY

THE REAL ENEMY

Her stomach growled. They'd been moving all day. It had been a day since Jim had died valiantly to save Panem. Talia had slept two hours last night before being awoken by the same nightmare that often plagued her dreams- the images of her parents- and Rossan's rotting corpse- burning at the stake in District 4. Finnick had been there, to hold her steady as she sobbed quietly into her bundled up coat to muffle her cries. They were finally entering the inner city where they would hopefully be able to infiltrate. They wanted to take control of Snow's most precious Capitol assets- the Training Centre, the Mansion and the Peacekeeper Headquarters.

"We'll stop soon," Jamie says from beside her, he'd heard her stomach roaring. "Mines the same,"

She smiles at him, "I can't wait for there to be a world where we're not constantly wondering how we'll get our next meal,"

"Me too, Talia, me too," He says softly.

Up ahead, Rover has gestured for everyone to halt. Everyone crouches down and Talia looks over her shoulder to see Finnick, holding his trident in hand. He smiles at her, that beautiful brilliant smile.

"I'm going to go-"

Rover's foot shifts and the concrete he stepped onto shudders. He'd activated a pod.

"MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!" Hanson yells. Talia rushes, grabbing Finnick's sleeve and tugging him as hard as she can. He runs, grabbing her arm to steady them both. They duck behind some debris just as Rover's foot lifts off the concrete block. He tries to run, but before he can move he is obliterated by an explosion that makes the ground shake violently. Finnick throws his body over Talia's, pressing her between himself and the floor, shielding the love of his life and their unborn child.

Talia covers her face with her hands, gasping for breath. Screams can be heard from behind the debris. Finnick peers over the top and sees Henry, his hands grasping at his face as his skin...melts away from the bone. The explosion was acidic. Finnick feels bile rush up his throat and flood his mouth. He jolts aside and heaves onto the pavement. Talia sits up and turns to see what Finnick saw. Her hand clutches her chest. Henry was collapsed to the floor, his sister, Jada screaming in agony at acid burning her own arms, but also at her brothers fleshless face.

Alana, who had been shielding behind a pillar beside Jamie, runs out into the open. She drops to the floor beside Jada and opens her backpack of medical supplies. She riffles around in it for a moment before producing a bottle of water, which she douses Jada's arms with. Jada howls in pain. The noise was sickening. Finnick and Talia emerge from their cover. Talia scans for the survivors. Henry and Rover are the only casualties. Hanson is ahead scouting the area when he stops moving. He looses a breath, looking over his shoulder at Talia, he begins to mouth, "Don't trust-"