thirty two

THIRTY TWO

BLOODBATH

BLOODBATH

The cornucopia glistened in the light, Talia whispered almost silent words under her breath as her eyes adjusted to the light, it was so hot under the arena's artificial sun, her wetsuit was glued to her already. The countdown ticks, and she readies herself to dive into the water, to face whatever awaited her once the clock hit 0.

Finally, the gong sounds and she dives into the water, swimming as fast as she can towards the cornucopia. Her mind racing, she had to find Finnick, and anyone else who might wish to be allies. She reaches the cornucopia and climbs up onto the black rock, scrambling to get to a weapon. She grabs the first thing she sees, a set of knives. From the other side, Katniss appears to her right, picking up a bow and to her left, Finnick who grabs a trident. Katniss aims her arrow towards Talia and Finnick quickly flashes his arm, a golden band of flames on his wrist.

"Duck!" He yells and Katniss does so, Finnick throws the trident into the chest of the District 5 male. It made Talia want to vomit.

"Where's Peeta?" Katniss asks and Talia shakes her head.

"He wasn't by me," She says as she fastens the belt of knives around her waist.

"There's only one trident," Finnick says, scouring the cornucopia for another.

"Its fine, you take it," Talia nods, and Finnick nods too, retrieving the weapon from the dead victor.

Katniss rushes to the other side of the cornucopia and Finnick and Talia quickly follow, Talia grabbing a spear on the way- if she couldn't have a trident, a spear was the next best thing. The trio reach the other side and find Peeta in a struggle with another victor.

"Peeta!" Katniss yells as the two of them fall into the water, attempting to drown one another. They both go under and Katniss is about to throw Talia her bow to hold when Finnick dives into the water.

"Finnick what the fu-"

A canon booms just as Finnick dives down again, Talia gulps back the lump in her throat, glancing at Katniss, if Peeta was dead then it was over for their alliance. A few more tedious seconds pass but finally, Finnick resurfaces with Peeta in his arms, the blonde coughing repeatedly as he sucks in fresh air. Katniss helps Finnick pull Peeta ashore and the four of them share glances.

Katniss nods to Finnick in some silent appreciation while Talia glances at their surroundings, taking in the water and the beach, the heat was searing, sweat soaked her body.