twenty

TWENTY

FRUIT OF THE POISON TREE

The Capitol was as beautiful as ever, and the President's mansion was possibly the most beautiful building Talia had ever seen, let alone been inside. It was huge, filled with servants and peacekeeper bodyguards and of course, white roses, the scent made Talia dizzy.

The dress she wore was plain but elegant, a slit running up the left leg showed off the perfect amount of skin, as her arms were covered by tight, lace sleeves. The back was buttoned up, but made of lace too and the colour was jet black. On her ears, pearls, her neck, her fathers pearl, her right ring finger, a pearl. On her feet, black strappy shoes decorated with a single pearl on the ankle strap of each. Simple elegance was what Aldar described it as.

She walked through the crowds, Thelan followed behind her, Finnick, Aldar and her prep team were already inside, as were numerous other Victor's from different Districts. People lay their hands on her, some sort of claim? She wondered. Others kissed her hands, welcoming her into the President's home. She saw him, up on his balcony overlooking the party. Finally she reaches the courtyard below him and takes centre stage, a glass of champagne is handed to her and the President lifts his glass in the air. She raises hers to match and a wide smile crosses his lips.

"Enjoy your night, Miss Riverthorn," He calls and fireworks boom above the mansion. Immediately music starts, a brass band apparently.

Her eyes scan the faces of those around her and eventually settle on Thelan, she follows after him, he introduces her to many people, none of which she can recall the name of afterwards. Eventually the pair of them find Aldar, Zetta and Fava indulging on the various meals the President had on offer.

"I might need to be sick so I can have more!" Zetta laughs, her smile wide and sickening.

"You'd throw up simply to eat more?" Talia asks, her words sour.

"Of course!" Fava answers for Zetta, they both grin at each other and continue eating anyway.

"All this while the Districts starve," Talia says, "I don't want any of his food,"

"You must eat, its rude not to, all this is for you, after all," Thelan says, "And keep your voice down missy,"

"Very well," Talia says, she walks away, shifting through the crowds of people, eyes scanning every face for Finnick Odair.

She finds him in one of the courtyard off shoots where people seemed to go to have quieter chats. Beside him stands a gorgeous woman with bobbed pink hair.

"This must be the Pearl," She says upon seeing Talia's approach.

"Talia," Finnick smiles falsely, "This is Hanea, she's the woman who sponsored you your trident in the games,"