twenty eight

TWENTY EIGHT

HERE TO KILL. NOT MAKE FRIENDS.

The first day of training made sure to test Talia's nerves. The training centre was filled with killers, each of them had won a Hunger Games before, which meant they'd seen enough death to not really be phased by it anymore. Talia split off from Finnick, still not talking to him despite some of his efforts. In the elevator he'd asked her 'how are you?' and she just scoffed. A stupid question for a stupid time. Talia was standing at the fire making station when she saw Finnick walking over to Katniss, she watched him lean in closely behind her, his skin nearly touching hers. Talia felt her skin flare with heat, her fingers flex round the stick she was holding, ready to snap it in half, when her vision was blocked by a body.

"I thought I might join you," The voice is calm and soft. Talia looks up to his face.

"Peeta, nice to see you again," She forces, shifting to allow him to sit down beside her.

"I noticed Finnick enjoys talking to Katniss," Peeta says, looking over to the two of them, who were now chuckling at the rope station, Finnick had tightened a noose round his neck.

"Apparently," Talia mutters, dropping the stick onto the pile, "Fancy a go?"

"I already know how," He says and Talia nods.

"Of course you do," She sighs, "I can imagine you're pretty pissed off, not even a whole year and you're back in here,"

"I hoped I might never see this place again, at least not for this reason, but here we are, being forced back into an arena, and some of these people are ridiculously dangerous...Enobaria's teeth have been filed so she can rip the throats out of her enemies...Like how ridiculous is that?" Peeta says and Talia laughs.

"That is pretty ridiculous," She says, shaking her head, "Smart though,"

"I guess," Peeta says, "Then you have Brutus, Gloss, Cashmere, all of them trained killers. Wiress and Beetee are super intelligent, Johanna Mason could split you in two within seconds. You and Finnick, both amazing trident users, and good at ropes and fishing and everything. Katniss had her bow and arrows and me...Then there's me, I paint and bake cakes," Peeta says, shaking his head, "But as long as Katniss is safe, then I'm fine with it, I just need her to be safe,"

"You're more than what you make out to be, Peeta, you're strong and fit and I'm sure with some practice you could use a sword or spear," Talia says and Peeta lets out a heavy sigh, "You really love her, don't you?"

"Of course I do," He says and Talia smiles softly at the boy, he was still a boy.

"I thought it was fake, thought it was just a ploy to get you both out alive," Talia says, a little quieter.

"It was on her half," Peeta breathes, he stands up and offers Talia his hand, she takes it and he pulls her up, "Not for me,"

"I think I know the feeling," She says, shaking her head, "I'm going to go and check out some of the other stations, might I recommend you head over to the swords,"

"I'll do just that, thanks Talia," He says, smiling, "And Finnick's different with you, to how he acts in interviews and such, he's less...Cocky?"

Talia laughs again, "Everyone has a face they wear for the Capitol right?"

"Indeed they do," He says, "See you around,"

"See you around, Peeta," She says before turning and walking away towards the net making stand, no one was there and she might have a moment to herself.

She grabs what she needs and makes a net designed to catch a small shoal of fish, her hands work calmly, so focused on her work she doesn't notice Katniss Everdeen approach. Eventually, the Girl on Fire leans a little closer and Talia's eyes blow wide at the sight.

"Am I in your way, Girl on Fire?"

"No, Pearl of Panem,"

"Touche," Talia says, the corner of her lip twisting upwards slightly, "We both have our silly titles,"

Katniss nods, looking at the net in Talia's hands, "You made this?"

"No, I cast a spell and it magically appeared in my hands," Talia replies and Katniss snorts a laugh.

"You don't have to be so...Tough," Katniss says and Talia meets her eyes.

"And neither do you," She replies and Katniss shrugs.

"Touche," The Girl on Fire mimics.

"But seriously, you're distracting me, what do you want?"

"I'm curious about net making," Katniss replies and Talia scoffs.

"Trust me you won't learn in the three days we have in here," Talia says, fastening some of the net to another piece.

"Not even the basics?"

"Why don't you ask, Finnick? You two seem to be getting on...Like a house on fire," Talia retorts, glaring into the girls eyes, she could almost see the flames flickering behind them.

"Actually, Talia, it was Finnick who told me to ask you, he said you're a thousand times better at it than he is," Katniss says, "But maybe I will ask Finnick,"

Talia watches Katniss turn and walk away before looking around the training centre and seeing Finnick standing at the knife throwing station, his eyes fixed on Talia, he shakes his head at her before turning his back and throwing the knife, it hits dead in the centre of the dummys chest. She turns back around and frowns.

"Katniss," She calls and the brunette turns, her braid flicking over her shoulder, "I might be able to manage the basics,"

Katniss sends her a small smile, "Thank you,"

Talia nods, and with a hint of sarcasm she says, "The pleasure is all mine,"

____________

Ello, ello, ello

thank you for reading!

~bobbybasic
❤️