thirty five

THIRTY FIVE

JABBERJAY SOUND

JABBERJAY SOUND

The group stood on the island in the middle of the lake, Peeta drawing up the sections of the clock with his machete.

"Between 1 and 2 is the blood rain," Beetee says, "Then 2 to 3 is the fog,"

"3 to 4 is the monkeys," Finnick says, looking towards Talia.

"And 10 to 11 is the wave," Peeta interjects.

"And 12 to 1 is the lightning," Katniss says and Beetee looks at her.

"Where does it strike?" He asks.

"That big tree," She says, pointing towards the huge tree that the cornucopia's tail was pointed towards too.

"The cornucopia's tail can help us tell time," Talia says, before looking at the sectors Peeta had drawn up.

A gasp comes from behind the group and they turn just in time to see Gloss stab a knife through Wiress's chest.

"No!" Katniss yells, putting an arrow to her bow and shooting Gloss in the chest. The two of them fall into the water, dead.

"Move!" Johanna yells and Katniss and Talia duck as Johanna swings her axe into Cashmere, kicking her body into the water, blood soaking Johanna again.

Katniss shoots towards Brutus, but misses, both himself and Enobaria running away from the island.

Finnick and Talia rush to follow, Talia grabbing a new spear on the way past. Talia is about to throw it when the cornucopia suddenly starts to move. Finnick falls to the floor, grabbing hold of a jagged rock. Talia attempts to grip, but slips. She screams as she slides towards the water, but Finnick grabs her hand, stopping her. She holds onto him with both hands as the cornucopia spins rapidly in circles. She hears Katniss scream and fall into the water and a few seconds later the cornucopia stops spinning. Finnick helps Talia stand, checking her over before the two of them rush back round to the others.

"Lets get what we need and get off this damn island," Johanna says, glancing at Katniss who was soaking wet from falling into the lake.

"I second that," Katniss says, coughing up more water before grabbing a second sheath of arrows.

Talia puts a belt of knives round her waist and Johanna straps a secondary, smaller axe to her waist.

"I didn't get to say this on the outside, but I loved what you did for the interviews, the blood covered rose?" Johanna says, following behind Talia towards the beach.

"My stylist risked a lot to get me that," Talia says, "I just hope that Snow hasn't harmed him,"

The group reach the beach.

"We should rest and eat," Beetee says, messing with the coil he'd taken from the cornucopia.

"I ag-" Katniss pauses, turning to look towards the forest. She gulps, the sound getting louder in her ears, "Prim?!"

"What?" Johanna asks, eyebrows furrowing.

"PRIM?!" Katniss yells, turning and taking off into the forest.

"KATNISS!" Its her mother's voice too. 

"KATNISS PLEASE HELP!" Gale.

"KATNISS I'M DYING!" Her sister again.

She keeps running, racing into the rainforest towards the voices.

"WHERE ARE YOU?" Katniss calls, and suddenly Talia bursts into the clearing.

Katniss aims her arrow, shooting down a navy coloured bird. The voices stop.

"What was that?" Talia asks, "I could hear Finnick screaming but...He was right with me," 

"Jabberjays," Katniss replies, "They copy sound,"

"TALIA!" Its Freddy.

"FREDDY?!"

"It's not real, Talia!" Katniss says, following after Talia as she races in the direction of the voice.

"But how did they get those sounds?" Talia asks, and Katniss's face contorts in horror.

The screaming gets louder as the two girls run for the exit of the sector, they see the others there waiting for them. Talia slams into the barrier, punching it as Finnick yells on the other side, but she can't hear a word, only the tortured screams of her family members as the birds swarm them.

An hour. Talia had to listen to their screams for an hour. Finally the barrier was down and Finnick pulled her into his arms immediately. Talia stayed in her ball, tears stained against her cheeks, hands shaking, her eyes not shifting as she stared straight ahead, unable to speak.

"Talia, its over, its okay," Finnick says, rocking her back and forth in his arms.

"The Capitol won't touch your sister, or your brothers," Johanna says, "Forget the districts...There would be riots in the damn Capitol...How about that Snow? How about we set your backyard on fire!?"

"Johanna," Katniss mutters, looking up at her.

"What?" Johanna shrugs, "He can't hurt me. There's no one left I love,"

Johanna walks away, slamming her axe into the large leafs as she passes by, heading back toward the beach. Beetee and Gwen follow her, Beetee holding Gwen's hand as he guides her. Peeta helps Katniss up, leading her after the others. But Talia won't move, the voices were still echoing around her head.

"He's got them," Talia whispers, "He's hurting them,"

"He's not, Talia, Johanna is right," Finnick says, his hand cups her face and forces her to look at him. Her eyes meet his and she starts to cry again, "Snow could never get away with it,"

"The Capitol loves Prim because Katniss volunteered...My family...They had nothing to do with my games...There's no sympathy or sentiment...They wouldn't care-"

"Talia," Finnick says firmly, "They do not have your family, I promise,"

Talia stares into his eyes for a long moment, and she reaches up and places a hand on his cheek, "I heard your screams too,"

"I'm right here, I'm fine, I'm safe," Finnick says, nodding. Talia nods, sitting up. Finnick helps her stand and guides her way back to the beach, she was still shaking, still hearing their voices in the back of her mind. She had no doubt that Snow was capable of capturing her family and torturing them, but would he do that? She had no clue.

They reach the beach and Talia wades into the water, sitting down in it and letting the water lap over her body. Behind her she hears Katniss asking Finnick how she was.

"She's...Shaken..." Finnick replies softly, "She just needs a moment,"

Katniss doesn't respond, but Talia hears her talking to Peeta. Talia's hands dip into the water as it surrounds her. The sounds from those birds would haunt her nightmares forever. The only thing she found solace in, was knowing they were not real.

_______________________

It has been awhile since I posted, not just for this book but for any book, here on wattpad

I've been feeling very uninspired recently, and generally not in the mood to write, despite having many ideas whirling around my head.

But I came on to look at this fic and to make some adjustments and noticed a whole ass chapter just sitting here waiting to be posted, so here you go!!

Thank you for reading & I hope you enjoyed

~bobbybasic <3